Batty justice Ginsburg apologizes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Jul 14, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Trump just brings out the worst in the senile and Democrats (but I repeat myself):

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Thursday said she regrets disparaging Donald Trump.

“On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them," she said in a statement. "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect.”​

Seems she realized that she violated Canon 5 of the Code of Conduct for United States Judges:

A judge should not:

(2) make speeches for a political organization or candidate, or publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office. . .
    Oops!

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

yeah. we should hold government officials accountable to what they say and for actions outside the intent and purpose of their held position. we should.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Holy loaded thread title Batman!
    I don't think SC Justices should opine on Politics...still, throwing around words like "senile" and "batty" seem a little over the top. Fear not though, she'll retire (or pass) soon enough - though unfortunately not with the letter you'd prefer in the Oval Office when she does...

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

What other reason than diminished capacity would explain her violating the rules and blabbing confidential information?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    Took her a couple days, didn't it? Does it really take that long to realize you've stepped in it if you're firing on all cylinders?

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh, I don't know...perhaps because Trump is a unique (and potentially dangerous) modern wrinkle in US Politics? Out of curiosity were you all for Strom Thurmond to step down at the end of his career?

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. She made a mistake and owned up to it. Of course, political hacks will continue to attack her because they're not interested in the spirit of the nation's highest court, but are rather interested in scoring political points.

8. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If she believes that to the extent that the rules no longer matter, she's dangerously senile.

I'm for all pols getting out before they reach their dotage. For Obama that was 8 years ago.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Political hacks would have defended a similar episode by Scalia down to the last man. Ginsberg probably spent some time talking to colleagues and realized that they were right, and that hitting Trump wasn't worth hurting her reputation or the court's.
    If we did that, we'd have to replace 90 percent of Congress.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You miss the point. She may have thought Trump was worth breaking the rules to comment on. As said, I think that is a mistake for a SC Justice to do - Still, people have strong feelings about important issues, and Senile just seems a convenient Political term-de-jour.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I didn't like it back when Scalia went duck hunting with Cheney and I didn't like RBG shooting her mouth off today. In fact, it annoys me to no end when the SCOTUS appears at the POTUS SOTU speeches. SCOTUS justices should be forbidden BY LAW to fraternize with any public official and they should limit their public utterances to their written opinions.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Anyone against Trump is right, even when wrong.

13. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Senile is as senile does. She's kept mum about Hillary becoming president even though she was extremely careless with the nation's secrets and has been caught lying multiple times to the American people. Not a peep about that from crazy Aunt Ruth, however!

But she hates Trump so much she has to break the rules as a justice to tell the world she doesn't like him. Oh yeah, that's what you'd expect a sane, rational judge to do.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, it would be an interesting SC case of free speech vs SC justices.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you could only wish you had 1/5" her capacity.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Indeed. (Though not the inches part)

17. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I didn't know you are a phrenologist. Trust me, my capacity is much larger than hers.

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Dang no more juicy comments from the OLJ..........Old Lady Justice

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Pffft. That is all.

20. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Now now duck is only trying to say he a giant bonehead :D Larger capacity and all.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We really need a mandatory retirement age on SCOTUS.

22. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

No way, we be down to 2 1/2 judges in no time, and always waiting for the next election.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's true. Maybe a fixed term like the FBI director?

24. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Same for Congress.

25. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well your ego is much larger for sure. but it is pretty common knowledge as you post your levels on the net way too often.
    well death is the max any judge can run so there is one.