BBC Article - Viewpoint: Apple's iPhone launches no longer excite [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDee, Sep 11, 2012.

1. JDee, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

JDee macrumors 6502a

What do you guys think about this BBC article? Written by a guy 'Dan Lyons'. I know it's his own opinion but I don't think something which is basically entirely subjective of Apple should be posted on the most respectable news outlet in the world's website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

2. simsaladimbamba

The link does not work, I get a 404 error. And do you mean "objectively" or "subjectively"? Because if you meant "objectively", your sentence seems to contradict itself, as serious journalism shall be objective, unless it is a (polemic) commentary or similar subjective article.

3. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry Mr. Grammar King.

Must be something on your side. Working fine on three computers here.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Pretty harsh, but I agree with some of his points. I would call iOS boring.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Was going to post this same thing, but I got the "404" error on the link so I lost interest.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

Anyhow, sadly, I agree with that article.

Edit: Works, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't... Reminds me of my iPhone 4 proximity sensor.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I get the same 404 error.

7. jeremy h, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

jeremy h macrumors 6502

I suspect it might be possible the article can't been seen in the US. I'll post it below. Nothing too controversial I thought.

Just a bit of context: The BBC has come in for a fair bit of stick for 'promoting' Apple products over the past few years. Apple's stuff does get a fair bit of 'bandwidth' on the BBC news etc (due in part I think that the BBC's journo's all use them anyway) but it's sometimes seen a subtle promotion by those who use other stuff. (It's not often a product launch gets to be news on the BBC - but the iPhone will). Even I've thought it's been a bit sycophantic at times so I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing more of this sort of 'balance' in the future.

Also - the BBC news site has gone quite tabloid over the past few years and likes trying to generate 'user interaction' by stirring things up a bit.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

He certainly has some valid points. Apple need to impress this or next year. The iPhone 4 at its time was mind-blowing and so was iOS 4 which was lightyears away from all other mobile OSs.

Not much has been done since, and Android and Windows based phones (Android especially) are certainly giving Apple a run for their money.

Would Steve be screaming about the iPhone 5? Well, to be honest, we don't even know if these leaks are accurate. There is a part of me inside hoping what we've seen of the iPhone 5 so far has all been fake.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Take away the icons and the colour...Strip it down, and what have you got?

A bunch of plain menus, a grey background....You can sort of see what he means....Under the hood, IOS is not exactly riveting stuff.

10. James Craner, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Well we won't know until the new iPhone is announced, but based on the rumours, this is shaping up to be the most boring iPhone announcement in the products history. I guess part of the problem is the iPhone and iPad represent something like 75% of the Apple's profitability. This is bad news for innovation, as Apple are less likely to take a significant risk with new designs, as they don't want to hurt the cash cow. The trouble is the competition is starting to out innovate Apple. I am looking forward to the announcement and hope it is something more than a slightly larger screen, with a faster processor and a metal back. At any rate it will stop the countless part / case leak posts that are just confirming what was already rumoured several months ago.

The article is currently the most read article on the BBC news website

BBC News - Home.jpg

11. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I'd be quite happy with that - as long as at the end they said "Oh, and one more thing... a brand new Mac Pro Tower replacement... that's what we've really been working on... all you professionals can think of it as reward for twenty years of loyal custom"

But I think that's an argument for a different thread!

12. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Tell me about it, I am still using a 2006 1,1 Mac Pro, have been waiting for Apple to release one with Thunderbolt.

13. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Viewpoint: Apple's iPhone launches no longer excite

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

can't believe some of this stuff.

"The hardware on the iPhone has been the same for two years, since the iPhone 4 and 4S were virtually identical."

If that's correct, I imagine Steve is not happy. First of all, he'd be furious about the leaks. Steve liked surprising people.

The problem is that the new iPhone won't really give you much more screen real estate than the old one. Worse, it looks ridiculous.

Apple got where it was by taking bold risks. Now it has become a company that copies others and plays it safe.

Wow. Knock me over with a feather. What do you do with the rest of your time, Jony?

we should get this guy on the forums, see how well he stands up to his claims then.

14. tann macrumors 68000

The hardware was not at all the same between the 4 and 4S! Don't know where this guy is coming from. They were only virtually identical in terms of looks (design).

15. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i know! in fact it was only the HW that changed in terms of physical content.:mad:

16. Purant macrumors 6502

While I don't agree with most of the stuff quoted there, it's true that Apple plays it safe with the iPhone.

17. superdudeo macrumors regular

Woopee do to the both of you. It was basically the iPhone 4 but slightly faster and with Siri that would of worked perfectly on the 4 anyway. This article couldn't be more accurate, Apple is getting totally boring with their iPhone releases now.

This is coming from someone who has been with them for 4 years. Time for a change.

18. tbone3336 macrumors newbie

tbone3336

I like how he says the User interface is almost identical to the original Iphone and the picture next to the text show an Iphone compared to an S3 which displays a remarkably similar interface.

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

And then he talks about them being a copycat?!

I know the apple court case didn't make apple look good but it did prove that the didn't copy (if they had copied then they would have had to pay the $1bn - I know apple will have to pay some stuff but noting close to the full samsung fine)

20. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I seriously don't understand why people think there should be something "revolutionary" every year or so. It just doesn't happen that way. Tech matures and evolves. Thats alls smartphones are doing at the moment.

Things have changed drastically in a relatively short space of time and people are expecting a little too much to expect it to happen all the time. I don't think "the next big thing" will be happening any time soon.

21. superdudeo macrumors regular

Is that your excuse for why the iPhone will most likely not change appearance for three iterations?

22. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

This is so true,

Imagine if other things like games consoles where expected to be 'revolutionised' every year, we'd all be bankrupt, i've had my xbox for ages and it still plays the games. They work on a much longer cycle but i don't see people complaining about that.

23. adztaylor macrumors 68000

My excuse? Why should I make excuses? Do you just want a change in appearance for changes sake? So you can show off to your friends you have the new model and people can't confuse it for an older model?

I'd rather have a refined similar looking model rather than a drastic new one that causes all sorts of problems.

24. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Is a major change in appearance really needed?

25. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Apple created all this hype around their product, people bought into it, and now they expect to be blown away with each release.