BBC: Facebook and Google use 'dark patterns' around privacy settings, report says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by decafjava, Jun 30, 2018.

1. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

The main reason (I will get some flack for this) I stick with Apple, for example as the story indicated, after Microsoft's poor implementation of privacy settings in Windows 10, when the time came to upgrade from my old Windows 7 desktop I went with Mac to go along with my iPhone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44642569

First person to say "I have nothing to hide" gets a ban, errr as I'm not a mod well just a sharp rebuke.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I tend to bounce back and fourth with Android and iPhone. My last 2 phones have been Android mainly because of how good their screens are but the amount of advertising and things I felt were impeding privacy were obscene.

I’ve been DEEP through google settings several times but that didn’t seem to help much. Fast forward, since the X came out with a nicer screen I’ve come back to iPhone and I have to admit, my privacy I feel is much better with iPhone.

There are some odd things that still happen though. I won’t go all consiparacy and say my phone is listening to my personal face to face conversations but some very coincidental advertising has happened to me based off of those discussions.

4. decafjava thread starter macrumors 68030

decafjava

5. Solomani, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Is Google still using Don't Be Evil as their official corporate slogan? LOL

And why is everyone giving Amazon (Alexa) a pass? Alexa uses the same Googlean tactics to collect user data.

What people may not realize (until another year or two) is that Amazon is on track to being the first trillion-dollar corporation as well as 2-trillion-dollar corporation, at the current pace of market capitalization. And Alexa itself is now the dominant "personal assistant" that listens and records everything you tell it or share with it. Alexa's runaway success and market adoption blows away Google Assistant, Siri, and Cortana. By a mile.

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

When will people learn that Facebook isn’t your friend? And, no, you shouldn’t keep your enemy closer in this case.

8. cube macrumors P6

9. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Google and Facebook are ad companies so they sell ads. Microsoft had software products it sells for money. Apple sells Macs. If you don't sell a widget or service for money then you need to make money some there way. That other way is the Google and FB way - ads.

10. cube macrumors P6

This is no excuse for their obfuscated privacy settings.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Ad companies don't have privacy settings.

12. cube macrumors P6

Google does.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It’s called posturing.

14. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I have zero social networking apps and the same thing happens to me. Starting to think it is the YouTube app. I guess that probably counts as social networking now...

15. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Don't all companies posture?
    Some don't mine your data but very likely buy analytics and research data from companies that they know do mine your data. Is that any better?

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

like AOL... Facebook will come and go and I will have used neither.

gladly took a pass on linkedin too :cool: