Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I am outside the UK but using BBC iPlayer (via a VPN connection) on a 4th gen iPad as well as my iPhone 4. The playback is flawless - stutter free and crisp.

Yet, when I try to Airplay it to my Apple TV (3rd generation) I get an error on-screen: "An error has occurred".

I know I'm not the first to see this but I can't find answers. Anyone got a solution I can try?

f00b4r

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
This happens often with the live feeds I find. Have never found a clear answer why.

When you Airplay you remove the middle device like an iPad, so all of a sudden the BBC knows you are not in the UK.
If the ATV was configured for the unblock service as well then it should work.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Ahh, but it is. I use my ATV to receive US Netflix (outside of the US of course).

----------

I can also Airplay any bbc show that is archived rather than live streaming.

tomwilley

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Because I use a DNS service (StreamVia) and modify the DNS server setting in my router to their DNS, anything that I connect to for iPlayer works well.

When you Airplay you remove the middle device like an iPad, so all of a sudden the BBC knows you are not in the UK.
If the ATV was configured for the unblock service as well then it should work.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
crackle used to do this a lot when it returned from playing an interstitial ad.
Does bbc player interrupt streams for ads? It may not have anything to do with your DNS, location, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.