BBC offering all 9 Beethoven Symphonies for FREE!

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Guardian article

The iPod generation is to be given the chance to enjoy a more enriching download diet: Beethoven's entire collection of nine symphonies. Following Radio 3's Beethoven marathon, which ended at midnight on Friday, the BBC is making the complete cycle of the composer's symphonies - more than six hours of listening - available for free.
Listeners can visit the Radio 3 website and download as mp3 files the complete set performed by the Manchester-based BBC Philharmonic under the direction of its principal conductor, Gianandrea Noseda.
Pretty cool if you like Beethoven. The series is getting great reviews as well.

Also, The Guardian lists MacRumors at the bottom of the page as a useful link for iPod info.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Yup, me too. :( Hopefully they'll extend the time limit, given it looks like their server is overloaded.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
jsw said:
Nice... but download speeds are reminiscent of the 9600-baud modem era.
Yeah, really. It says "3 hours 51 minutes" on my Symphony #3 download, and I'm on cable modem!

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
I hope it includes duh-duh-duh-duuhhh ... it rawks!!

But enough ghastly contemporary parlance, I hope to remember this when I get to my home mac; the speeds a re far greater than this guff-line at work.

edit:
Beethoven's Symphonies 1 & 3 are available to download here until 5:30pm today
Looks like I have to get it here afterall ... at the moment it's downloading the 80megs at about 10k per second :eek: Somedays I really just give up with technology .....

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I guess it goes to show

Number of Guardian readers >> Number of Radio 3 listeners. :p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
another good find, im downloading one through five right now, hopefully i won't forget to get six through nine :eek:

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
whfsdude said:
Cool - thanks - I missed the first ones. Horrible download speeds but then BT have "upgraded" my line to 1MB and I'm now getting between 76Kb/s and 220Kb/s :eek: so it's going to take me a while

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
I also missed one and three.

I played them a few years ago, and I haven't really thought about them.. I'd love to give them a listen!
If anyone does have them hosted, please PM me. I'd really really like them. :)

This is so cool.. The bbc is spreading awareness of classical music! ROCK!

I really REALLY hope they have Mendelssohn week!! Hahaha

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good stuff. I don't mind hosting segment 1 or 3 to help ease the pain a bit too (PM me if you have either that I can help host since I don't have them yet).

Anybody want Yahoo 360 invites?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Got 2.4, and 5. Decent download speed too. Maybe I'll give them a listen someday, never heard Beethoven before. Haven't heard much music though.

If someone hosts 1 and 3 that'd be nice too.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Yes, I managed to get 2, 3 and 5 at a decent speed. They'd had some issues earlier in the day with higher than expected demand I guess.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
UPDATE:
I'm a goobtard and forgot that I had the Eroica Symphony on my HD already. It isn't by the BBC Phil, but it is still really really nice.
The horns don't crack any notes! ;)
If any of y'all want to host it, PM me and I'll get it over to ya.