BCRA - Senate Version of the AHCA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Rhonindk, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I like this:
    10:40 - 142 pages text released
    10:50 - "Bill hits older people hardest"
    11:03 - Democrats, including Sanders, slam the bill.

23 minutes to read a 142 pages bill and draw consequences about it?!?!??

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

See, you'd have all your staff members start on page 1.

I, on the other hand, would give each staff member a chapter, and have them report what they found.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how big was the ACA bill and how long did people have to draw consequences?

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

It would still take more than 23 minutes to read, analyze, discuss findings, prepare a response.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    As with any controversial law, I am fairly certain that Republicans slammed ACA in about the same timeframe. This is exactly what is sick about our legislative process.

6. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Then you end up with a summation that sounds like a bunch of blind men trying to describe an elephant for the first time. ;)
    6-blind-men-hans.jpg

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Right. Because reading is sooo hard.

What are these mysterious symbols scribed into this paper?

It defies understanding!
    Obviously not. The issue is pretty well understood. One could cut to the meat of law, ignore the fluff, and get a good idea of it in a very short period of time.

I know you don't believe that, but I'm sure that people can find key parts of the legislation and see quickly what it means.

Again, reading, it isn't that hard.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I disagree but oh well. ;)

9. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

If you truly believe each page stands on its own ... from a government document no less .... :rolleyes:

10. Zwopple macrumors regular

They pass this and when the pendulum swings the USA will have Medicare for All.
    Such a turd of a bill, cut taxes for 1% and remove benefits from the less well off.

It literally does *nothing* to help any of the reasons they claim Obamacare is "collapsing".

11. Rhonindk, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

What I am looking for are specifics on reversing the current withdrawal of Insurance companies ....

Watching the various responses and saw one that was interesting; ACA - did it actually address the smaller percentage that needed it or did it destroy the overall marketplace (including insurance via employers)

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Anyway, it'll likely still remove healthcare from ~20 million Americans.

Another nail in the coffin for the Republican party.

13. Zwopple macrumors regular

Profitability is what drove insurers out of states. Why be on the exchange when you lose money? The ACA is partly to blame because it mandated good coverage that couldn't be denied/capped/limited.

The reality is costs in the USA are way out of whack and nothing in the market is going to correct that so long as there is a massive private insurance scheme where insurance companies are rolling all over in Benjamins.

14. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

I found that question I posted interesting as I look back at my employer coverage since the inception of the ACA.
    • Premiums flat till next year (going up)
    • Deductibles tripling or more
    • CoPay increases
    • Tighter limits on catastrophic coverage.
    Wonder if the BCRA could alleviate or reverse this....

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Still has to pass and they only have about a 2 senator margin of error. They still have to debate it, negotiate it, listen to the public weigh in on it. It's a long way from becoming a law.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

US healthcare costs have been rising for decades. Plus it's clear the Medicaid expansion was the key plus of obamacare. I guess you need a public option.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You can't tax insurers more, make them cover more, make them cover more people, and not expect the one insured to share a bigger burden of the cost (deductible and co-pay).

Listen, regardless of what they do, democrats or republicans, someone is going to be pissed. More people are insured, insurers can't cherry pick healthy people and exclude the ones with pre-existing conditions, in turn everyone who already had insurance has seen theirs go up tremendously in order to cover all that. People who could never fathom getting insurance because of cost or illness can, they're thrilled. People who's co-pay went from $10 to $40 are fed up and can care less what happens to those lesser off. When this country wraps it's head around the idea that healthcare and health insurance isn't about "me" rather "us", the easier it will be to fix it and have people accept the fix.

18. 0007776 Suspended

As well as I'm sure a lot of it was borrowed from the house bill which they have had plenty of time to analyze they just needed to know which parts were kept in the Senate bill, which wouldn't take more than a couple minutes to recognize.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Believe it or not Gruber, the chief architect and fella who basically stated they lied because we're too stupid, admitted after the fact that the majority of people who enrolled in the medicaid expansion were medicaid eligible even before the expansion. So that was basically for nothing, but I know a lot of people who like to tout it as a major achievement.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

I bet they've read more than Trump and many that will vote for it blindly though

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Trump doesn't read because he knows everything. ;)

22. samcraig macrumors P6

That and it's not a 1 page brief with mostly pictures

23. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Was watching an evaluation of Schumer's initial response and a couple of things came that struck me as WTH?!?
    • Trump called the ACHA mean. So Schumer calls the BCRA meaner
    • Schumer rolls out what is wrong (couches it as "may"..)
    • When challenged on the assumptions the response was "these may be correct, we just don't know"
      • - why the fear mongering? :confused:
    • What is up with the fear mongering instead of optional solutions?
    Seeing if I can find an unbiased or mostly unbiased review of the bill. So far most of the published articles have been fear mongering and finger pointing. :oops:

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

This, just like ACA is destined to fail, you can't force insurance companies to have to cover everyone without also making it mandating that people must by insurance by imposing VERY severe penalties (jail sentence, HUGE fines etc.). The current ACA tax is a joke, which is why many younger (healthy) people don't buy insurance. No insurance company can afford to cover the sick without having many healthy people in the risk pool, it's simple math really.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess a public option is the only answer.
    If they were all eligible anyway why do the CBO think cutting it will take people's healthcare away?