Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Guys,
Like many of you, I also updated my 2006 Macbook pro with the SSD and HD. I bought the cary from the amazon and installed in the system. Everything ran just fine for a month until one day, the system heated up and burned my logic board and my HD. I opened the system and saw a white line going from the cady to the logic board.

Now,

my keyboard doesn't work and all the keys are just randomly gets typed themselves. I had to use terminal to disable it.

I am using an external mouse and keyboard to use my laptop.

Just wanted to let you know in case you are planning to do the same. It might be better to go off the OWC and not the amazon junk that I got.

Thanks

SR

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I can't see a link between the caddy and keyboard, it may have just been a coincidence especially if the drive and caddy are still working ok and the failure happened a month after installing the caddy...

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Amazon sells lots of caddys, it would be beneficial to share a link of which one you got. And pictures of the damage it did, if you have any.

disasterdrone

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2013
Amazon sells lots of caddys, it would be beneficial to share a link of which one you got. And pictures of the damage it did, if you have any.

Hmm.. Without some pictures and more information it's hard to tell what happened here. It is possible that a defective caddy is the cause, but it's just as likely to be either an installation mistake or an unrelated fault.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Hmm.. Without some pictures and more information it's hard to tell what happened here. It is possible that a defective caddy is the cause, but it's just as likely to be either an installation mistake or an unrelated fault.

Yeah. I don't get the white line that the OP describes either... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.