Be Careful What You Wish For...or...Haste Makes Waste

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, May 9, 2013.

1. 63dot, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Recently there has been a lot of debate on whether Syria needs to get a new leader, but others who know the region say that what is bad now could get worse with a new person (if that's possible). All the ingredients for one dictatorship replacing another are right there.

In our haste to find a quick remedy for Syria, we can make things worse and this can happen anywhere:

Where I live we had a city leader who allegedly had a bad habit when it came to hitting on women who worked there, getting into relationships, and putting them on a quicker ladder to promotion. Other than his Clintonian ways, he also had on the good side an ability to govern and do so in budget unlike anyone before him.

When lawsuits and complaints regarding his behavior surfaced, the city went into knee jerk reaction and forced him to leave and quickly got a replacement. All energies were into removing the alleged womanizer that no attention was paid into who was to come in and replace him.

Well we went from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.

Where it was alleged that the old city manager may have played favorites and promoted women up a ladder a few rungs, the new city manager threw out the ladder altogether and hired (or tried to) what was to possibly be unqualified women to sit at the top of the ladder. No, he didn't sleep with them but at least the old manager never promoted somebody unqualified. Jobs that were only reserved for longtime experts of the job's tasks with limited budgets, and of the region, were given to outsiders with little or no experience by the new city boss. While I am no fan of adultery, we didn't hire him to be a good husband, but be a money manager. Now we have a guy who thinks 1+1=3.

What is odd is that the new boss attempted to replace two such jobs with people he knew hundreds of miles away when he was a public worker there. It was kind of akin to the rumors that Clinton, and then Bush, simply hired random hometown people based on that they trusted them and knew them as good ole fishin' buddies rather than if the person was qualified for the job.

Now we are going through a hell not seen before due to the hasty actions of trying to replace a key person at all costs in the quickest amount of time. There doesn't seem to be anybody at the top who knows budgets or operations management. I am only a contractor a couple of days a week for this entity (I work for others, btw) but I won't be surprised if the next check that comes from them bounces. Knee jerk reactions can get you into trouble, especially in government, and it's a good thing we didn't elect (during the low point of Obama's popularity during the 2012 election) a man who was so adamant on marriage being between one man and one woman when he had descendants who were about one man and many women, and who was also so against Obamacare when it is a well known fact it was based on his model in Massachusetts.

Anyway, moral of the story is to be careful what you wish for (whether it's here, my city, or Syria):rolleyes:

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Nice analogy, I see where you're coming from. But it doesn't factor for the victims here: the civilians. They're the ones who are suffering and need help, assad troops and rebels or otherwise.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think we should leave this to the Syrian people. If the U.S. gets too involved, no matter what the outcome is we will be out billions of dollars and will be blamed for every ill that befalls the region. We can't win.

I think Assad is clearly a nasty dictator but you pose a good point in that who exactly would replace him? Another dictator most likely--though I would hope not.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The short term to save lives is to get rid of the dictator. Yes.

But realize that the dictatorial thinking is very common and an effective reformer may find killing his own enemies is the only way out. I hate to say it but in certain areas at certain times in history the dictator is the only working model. We can't push our democracy and expect that the country will suddenly embrace every nuance of our ways. We always seem puzzled when we back somebody (Noriega in Panama to fight communists) or (Hussein in Iraq to counter Iran) and then it backfires. Syria is far more complex than we can imagine.

I have to deal with small town with one schmuck who was worse than the previous schmuck and reasonable, sane people seem to stay out of small town politics. By the time you get far enough to rise over the pettiness than can occur, you did so by being the biggest jerk of them all. As for human nature and Syria, what makes anyone think that we are going to find somebody outside the box of all the known political practices. Short of taking over the country and annexing it to the US, as some say was done in Iraq, there's no hope for positive change. And how positive was the change in Iraq?

Change happens but almost never when done in haste.

Fifty years from now with the vacuum left in Lybia, Iraq, and probably Syria, what is the Middle East going to look like and will it be in our favor? I don't think so. What is going to be left of Iran if we go there and what will Afghanistan be like? There's little hope for the legacy of the USA and all its recent "help".

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

What's the difference with Syria and Libya? The GOP was foaming at the mouth over how Obama overstepped his authority with our involvement in Libya.

But now that Obama is walking carefully with Syria, the GOP is criticizing Obama for not getting involved.

:confused:

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Syria has a much more advanced air force.

If you're wondering why the GOP is pushing for Syria, its just the next card to fall in Cheney/Rumsfield's project. You know which one I'm referring to: Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategies, Forces, and Resources For a New Century.

It's interesting how even after Bush-The-Lesser is gone, US foreign policy tows very closely tactically to that project, whether or not certain aspects fail miserably (Iraq).

7. Sydde, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have some doubts. One country I can think of had help deposing their Ba'athist despot-president (what Assad is) and internal violence went up considerably, much of it sectarian (the Ba'athists are secular). Seriously, what are conditions like in Egypt and Libya right now? Is the average citizen likely to better or worse off?

8. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Problem is its probably not Assad vs the Syrian people anymore...its more than likely Assad vs Radical Islamists.

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Bingo.

And if and when one Islamic extremist group takes over, watch out. And the fighting between them and other similar groups can turn this awful place into something even worse.

The realistic key is stability and not an instant USA style democracy. This and other cultures are much older than America and change only comes slowly, and often very violently.