Beach ballin' like a son-of-a-beach - Strangest glitch I EVER DONE SEEN!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ImCool, May 17, 2009.

1. ImCool macrumors newbie

Hello all. I just registered this morning. Yesterday I was removing some icons from the dock when I encountered this for the first time:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=337166

Right away I started beachballin' and soon after my iMac (10.4.11) froze. I restarted and it took forever to boot up. When the desktop decided to show it's face the Finder icon was back in the dock, but I did get this:

[​IMG]

I moved everything outta the way so you can see. I seem to be able to use apps - Grab and Safari, obviously - but I can't access System Preferences to change the desktop background. This is making me think it's more than a case of bad wallpaper. Isn't this the strangest glitch? I hope someone has a workaround or direct solution.

I've also restarted several times to no avail.

Thanks 

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's possible your hard drive is failing. Insert your restore disk and boot up to the install screen and use Disk Utility in the "Utilities" option in the menu bar. Highlight the main disk in the sidebar and click the "Repair Disk" option and check for any errors.

3. isus macrumors regular

Sorry to say it but I can't help you on this - but that is the most awesome desktop I've ever seen :cool:

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like one or more corrupted preference files to me. Fortunately, this is easy to fix. The files in question are in ~/Library/Preferences, where ~ is your home folder.

5. ImCool thread starter macrumors newbie

Beach ball just started spinning. Any suggestions?

6. DaSal macrumors regular

Make a video? I'm sorry but that sounds like it looks freaky and awesome...;)

As for a fix, maybe running the Disk Repair thing or downloading an app like Onyx and seeing if running that helps. (Though, I kind of doubt it)

7. DPB17 macrumors 6502

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Just about to say... if I hadn't read the post i'd think he's showing off his trippy wallpaper :cool:

9. ImCool thread starter macrumors newbie

Wallpaper my ass. It's spinning and I'm scared-ing.