Beachball of death while gaming (Retina MacBook Pro 13" late 2013)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaRealElvis, Nov 3, 2013.

1. DaRealElvis macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought a new 13 inch retina Macbook with 8 GB of Ram and Intel Iris graphics.

I tried to play FEZ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LMU5T5vk8)
    I have to be honest I am a little disappointed with my 1500 USD laptop. If I set the resolution too low the game is not filling out the whole screen, if I set it higher the sound is choppy and I have serious framerate issues.

But my concern is something else. Every like 30 sec I see the "Beachball of death" on screen in the game! (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7NbdcS5U4...AAASU/SjzfDg0jvgs/s400/spinning_beachball.png)

Has anybody experienced something like that?

Thanks for your help :)

2. Shmanky macrumors regular

I've been seeing the beach ball in Team Fortress 2 after upgrading to Mavericks on my mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro.

3. DaRealElvis thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your answer! :) So I am not the only one.

The good thing is it seems to be a software issue. I really hope Apple will come up with a fix soon.

The keyboard freeze is annoying me the most. I use my macbook a lot while commuting to work. Every morning I have to close the lid for like 30 sec to get it working again. Looking like a complete idiot :D

4. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

Hit the power button to sleep it then hit it again to wake. That helped with the freezing issues.

5. DaRealElvis thread starter macrumors member

I tried. It´s not super effective. I can only do a hard reboot that way. Closing the lid is easier, but still annoying. The new macbook pro is gorgeous and people are always looking ;) It´s even more embarrassing when it freezes :p

6. Joined:
    Nov 3, 2013
    Second Life crashes my $3000 newest model

every few hours

default graphics.

7. DaRealElvis thread starter macrumors member

I encountered the same problem with super meat boy and Portal! This is really annoying seeing the stupid beach ball. Is there any fix???

I also get it while browsing in Chrome. For a split second when I click a link for example. I understand that the macbook is loading something and working, but I never got the beachball before with my old macbook Pro while just surfing.

8. richard371 macrumors 68000

Mavericks and iOS7 need a few more updates to be stable. Its obviously a software issue as I saw it once in iMovie and i wasn't doing anything cpu intensive. Apps and iOS7 also have some stability issues.

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

You clearly should have sprung for the $4000 one...

10. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Count me in as someone who's getting the beach ball/screen freeze in Team Fortress 2 (2011 15" MBP). It seems to happen in heavy (no pun intended) action sequences, especially when I'm moving my mouse back and forth quickly. It's happened six or seven times over the past four days, and is extremely annoying. I hope there's a fix on its way.