"Beam Me Up, Scotty!" (PC Idiocy)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

My first read about this story had me shaking my head over the foolishness. Then I ran across a better exposition on the subject, courtesy the Lady Tamara's blog.

The exposition: http://hammeringsparksfromtheanvil.blogspot.com/2007/06/disarming-story-about-political.html

Tamara's comment:

"Sometime in our distant past, probably right after the invention of fire and before the invention of clothes, one of our distant ancestors decided that if he made a little statue that looked like Og the Thundergod and did something to it, like maybe smearing it with berry juice, he could affect the real world and keep hunger at bay or bring the rain.

Fast forward to modern, technologically-savvy America, where some school administrators in California felt that by manipulating little one inch figurines, cutting their tiny weapons off, they could keep the violence demons away. The more I think about it, the more disturbing I find it: Folks, if you are so far gone that you can't distinguish the difference between a weapon and a 3/4"-long blob of plastic shaped vaguely like a weapon, you are (not to put too fine a point on it) stark raving crazy."

Her blogspot: http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/

"Zero tolerance" = Zero competence at rational thought.

'Rat

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing is, it was the rise of the "lawandorder conservative" that drove the adoption of zero-tolerance rules/laws in the first place. Their short-term thinking (and that of anyone who has joined them out of fear of being painted "soft on crime) has brought this to pass.

3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...maybe they should have just covered the soldiers with condoms. But is that now using sex as a weapon???

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

The whole thing is borderline retarded, but according to the link above the students and their parents had clear instructions that no images of weapons of any sort could be used in the 'decorations', so i guess the only ones to be blamed for the ridiculous situation should be the parents of the kids involved for not challenging beforehand a needless (IMO), but clearly stated policy, or for not having their kids complying to it.
    in any case, they should have removed the figurines whole, rather than mutilate them. or just hand them a plain cap and send them in for graduation.

zero tolerance policy are always controversial (and mostly inadeguate), and in cases like this 'principal discretion' based on guidelines would seem to be the most reasonable approach.
    Better still, leave it to the parents to decide about what is appropriate or not to display.

but i am sure that in our litigious society, you'd end up at some point with some parents arguing for their kid's constitutional right to have the wwII german army toys, or darth vader and freddy kruger figurines,

5. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Hmm... Darth vader? Would a fictional weapon (lightsaber) count? What happened to the days a boy would turn 10, get a 22 rifle for this birthday, and take it to show and tell?

Maybe that is still ok only in Alabama. The only thing I am non-tolerant about is the idea of non-tolerance. That goes for all issues.

All of life is subjective.

6. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, when they're busting kids for doing the thumb/finger "gun" and saying "Bang!', somebody's a few ants shy of a picnic. Busting a kid for drawing a picture of a gun? Same-same nobody home. Somebody ain't playing with a full deck. What's egregious, of course, is the amount of glorification of guns on TV or in the moom-pitchers. Hypocritical to show that stuff to kids and then bust them for thinking they oughta emulate what they've been taught.

mac, you're really reaching. Conservatives are the ones who give real guns to their kids for Christmas or birthdays.

Y'all have fun. I'm eastbound; on the road for a couple or three days.

'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey I've long been of the opinion that zero-tolerance means zero thought. Of course one could also argue that it's hypocritical to show kids glorified crime, drug use, and violence on TV, then bust them for gang banging or getting high. It's just emulating what they see on TV, right?

Of course blaming television means the parents aren't taking the personal responsibility that they should be in their kids. And I thought that was far more important than what you see on the boob tube...

Please 'Rat. Don't insult our collective intelligences. Which ideology has pounded on the other harder for being "soft on crime"? Willie Horton ring a bell for you? Which side of the aisle has harped the loudest for "mandatory minimums"? Which was the biggest proponent of "three strikes" legislation?

It's the same thing with the right's stupid obsession with anti-gay legislation that is now showing the potential to be used against unmarried straight couples too. Oops. Short term political gain pitted against long term stupidity. Or with their concept that tax rates can only go one way, which puts conservative mayors and governors in a tight spot once they or their predecessors cut taxes to the bone and they realize that unlike the feds they can't run deficits. Then they get their asses voted out because they do the right thing when they need revenue because their base is so conditioned to think that any tax increase is evil.

Notice I'm not saying that zero-toleranc is singly the purview of conservatives. Many spineless lefties have been suckered into this thinking as well now, particularly once they see the effectiveness of attacks from their right for being "soft on crime". But don't feed me this line of BS that conservatives had nothing to do with zero-tolerance. It's crap and you know it.

Enjoy. Don't do anything that might get you a mandatory minimum sentence...

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the single most important, most underestimated and most underused value:

common sense.

AKA: flexibility in applying the "rules"

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

'Rat- mac's right on this one.

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Wow, I actually agree with mac on this one. I don't know if this one should be down party lines. The idea of zero-tolerance is used by both sides for the same reason: general laziness, with the need to pretend they care. No politicians want to allow any employee of the government to make subjective decisions (eg. teachers). Their view of "caring" is micromanaging the educational process. Whether it be "no child left behind", or no tolerance laws.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And of course 'Rat is talking about the California school system -- something he should be holding his water about; since he doesn't live here he obviously can't possibly know enough about the ins and outs of the system to pontificate with any degree of expertise on the subject. :p

(Sorry 'Rat, you handed me that stick and just asked to be beaten about the head and neck area with it...)

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My (private) high school had a zero tolerance alcohol/drugs policy that included being in the presence of someone with drugs or alcohol. Someone using or found in the presence of drugs or alcohol would be immediately expelled.

This lead to the expulsions of a few people I knew for being in the same room with someone drinking a beer.

I almost got into some serious stew with that policy when my friends and I decided to investigate what was hidden in the ceiling tiles in the dorm bathroom. A hardass teacher walking outside saw me standing on the bathroom windowsill looking in the ceiling and ran up the stairs. Something spooked me seconds before he arrived, and I stepped out in the hallway, saw some half-eaten chinese food in the trash and pretended to be eating it, just as he came up the stairs. If I hadn't spoken very deftly for the following ten minutes my friends and I could easily have been expelled, essentially for being curious. The faculty wound up cleaning out the ceiling tiles from every bathroom in that dorm later, and filled six 50 gallon trash bags with beer, liquor, wine and pot.

No-chance, zero-tolerance policies suck.

13. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

14. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that the location of the event was rather beside the point. It merely seemed more egregious than most such idiocies, rather than unusual. The same sort of mindlessness has occurred in Georgia, as well as at most of the airports of the U.S. Probably other schools, although I don't record every bit of foolishness I run across...

Sorry, but I can't relate this sort of garbage to "law'n'order" or conservatism or liberalism. It's just stoooooopid. And immature. And a wonderful example of irrational fear.

"The symbol is not the thing." Or so I've heard. I guess that's where my main gripe is. Allegedly mature adults getting their shorts all wadded up over some symbolism that's indelibly part and parcel of society.

Don't panic, "common sense" is rather uncommon, these days...

'Rat