Beam Me Up Scotty.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

This article shows that the Russians are producing a revolutionary "death ray" weapon designed mostly to fry drones and it sounds like it's heading to Syria.

Does the Russian buildup, especially in Syria, concern you or do you think it's just posturing ?

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Considering today's NATO action in Latvia... yeah it's a buildup on both sides designed to escalate the situation.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What happened? I saw that Russian troops were moved to the border on Monday.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Thanks for the link. If they are complaining about sending only 140 troops, what are they going to do if Article 5 is declared? Decide to sit it out?

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

140 troops is a political statement, they're basically political hostages.

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Well, even if the Russians eventually don't want an open war with the US…. the buildup is not just "posturing".

It's called "giving the Russian army combat experience". The presence of Russian troops in Syria is a great way for them to get combat training and practice. Which does help them be better prepared in the event that open hostilities do break out between the US and Russia.

By the same token, Iran's soldiers are getting invaluable combat training by having a key presence alongside Assad's Syrian loyalist troops.

I'm not saying that Iranian soldiers will ever become the equal of US armed forces, but if a direct confrontation between Iran and Saudi forces ever happen, I'm willing to bet that Iranian regiments will murder the Saudis (even if the Saudis have "superior" American-made equipment given to them by American taxpayers).