Beating a Dead Horse.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Joe Biden stated Friday at a Hillary rally that he wanted to take Trump behind the gym and beat him up.

There has been much discussion of violence in this year's election and do you think Biden's comment should be condemned or is it just a typical Bidan endearing comment ?

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Condemned - what a dumb-a$$ comment he made.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He didn't say "... and beat him up."

Who knows, it might have been to share a forbidden cigarette.

Maybe he'd have suggested burning down the school.

We could share the cost of one of those story-mill apps and see what turns up, pitch the thing on Amazon and contribute proceeds to MacRumors to help defray cost of these [adjective] threads.

5. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree but why don't we hear Trump being Trump.

There seems to be a double standard depending on what ideology people support

You are arguing semantics :). You are correct that the linked story added "beat him up" but I would argue with you that's what he meant. In any case, do you think it should be condemned or is it Joe being Joe ?

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well that does it! I'm not voting for Joe Biden this election.

Are you happy now?

But I fail to see the point of this thread, or so many like it. The fact of the matter is that this has pretty much zero to do with the issues that are of importance in this campaign.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I think Joe probably needs to say he wouldn't really beat Trump up behind a gym without maybe two or three more days of provocation.

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I like Biden... but this seems to be "encouraging violence" or whatever people were criticizing Trump for. Pot meet kettle.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Transcript as reported

"But what he said he [Trump] did and does is a textbook definition of sexual assault. (Applause) And -- no, no, think about this. It's more than that. He said because I'm famous, because I'm a star, because I'm a billionaire, I can do things other people can't. What a disgusting assertion for anyone to make. (Cheers and applause) The press said don't you wish you were debating him? No, I wish I were in high school so I could take him behind the gym, that's what I wish."
    OK so "... and beat him up" is implied.

He said he wished he could take Trump behind the gym.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

But for the sake of semantic certainty, let's have Uncle Joe get out there and say he didn't mean to encourage the idea of people settling things behind the gym, or violently.

And if I were Joe I'd certainly add "And I hope Mr. Trump feels the same way, since sometimes it's hard to tell."

Hey, make lemonade while you're out there.

10. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not ever thread are Trump / Hillary are terrible threads :).

So, you are saying that the things people say during a campaign in support or attack on a candidate should only matter if they themselves are running ?

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Ok and? Pot meet kettle.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Biden making a stupid comment is hardly the equivalent of Trump encouraging violence.

13. Limey77 macrumors regular

More specifically he stated "I wish I were in high school", so not suggesting that he would now resort to violence but admitting that in his youth he would have done.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Joe momentarily wished he were in high school. That in itself could surprise, since most of us might not like to have to do that over. Anyway I understand how Joe could briefly imagine being back to a time when physically adjusting someone's attitude seemed like an option. I'd like to punch Trump out too sometimes. But I can't, and neither can Joe so we all have to move on.

Trump may have come pretty close to inciting violence more than a few times and seems to enjoy kinda sorta nearly but not quite breaking out of the protected speech bubble.

I'll take Uncle Joe since he seems to me like the average voter who's grown really tired of Trump's schtick. I kinda like that he let his feelings show there for a moment on the stump.

Bottom line, @vrDrew gets my vote here.

Off topic: wow, it's snowing here. First snowfall of season!

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Male violence has been a blight on human existence since we became humans. I hate to see anyone think it's an appropriate response, let alone someone from my side of the political divide. So no, Joe doesn't get a thumbs up from me for indulging in his high school retributional fantasies. Grow up, Joe.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^^ Good points...

The thread title is starting to make more sense to me though.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

:D Yeah that would have gone over better :rolleyes: and maybe especially in Wilkes Barre PA smh

19. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Biden is not very bright so we'll let this one slide. ;)

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ but he got media coverage for Clinton without paying, same as Trump! Steppin' up.

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I'm kinda of surprised no one is defending what Biden said. Yes, Biden has made his share of stupid statements but this is not one of them. To take exception to what Biden said is to take exception to American culture in general. Since when has defending a woman's honor against a self-proclaimed sexually groping bully become a shameful fact? And comparing Biden wanting to give someone a well-deserved ass whipping for preying on defenseless women to Trump calling for his supporters to beat people up simply because they disagree with him politically is absolutely silly.

22. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

More like take him behind the gym to grope him.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Your sentiments are much along the line of mine except that I don't really think beating someone up is going to break the chain of men groping women because "they can" or at least think so. I agree Trump's deplorable for being how he is. I can't think an ass whipping is going to do anything except fetch someone an assault summons for having done it. Anyway right now it would not be a wise move even if the idea may have occurred to his own SS security details in idle off-duty dreams.

I know it's beating a dead horse but I wish Trump would stop already with the incitement of xenophobia, it's stirring up a lot of anxiety and anger that will not easily vanish after the elections. It annoys me that he may have plans to capitalize on that with some TV show...

24. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Which isn't really a fair comment. People will never be perfect, and human interaction is far more complicated and nuanced than a feel-good "herp derp men is bad" statement.

Here's an example: Let's say we live in a peaceful society and everything is cool and we have some utopian government. Let's say they decide that being able to speak your mind, or say anything contrary to the government should be banned and if you do it there will be some repercussion, like maybe they can just cancel your ability to have a job or something and you have no recourse.

Is violence not an appropriate response to something like that? If people are treating you, or a group of people unjustly should they not rebel? We need violence, unfortunately, until everybody is absolutely perfect, which would make for a very boring world.

25. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Agreed, people like Trump will never change and giving them a can of ass whipping will only let them experience how it feels to be manhandled, albeit briefly.