Beauty & The Beast Has Disney's First Openly Gay Character

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Spoiler alert:

The forthcoming Beauty and the Beast film will feature the first-ever openly gay Disney character.

Disney’s live-action adaptation – a remake of the 1991 animated film – of Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont’s fairy tale will star Emma Watson in the lead role as Belle, while Dan Stevens will take on the eponymous Beast. The film is set for release on March 17.

It has now been revealed that one particular scene in Beauty and the Beast will see the first-ever coming out of a canon Disney character during a film. Speaking to Attitude, director Bill Condon revealed that the character LeFou – played by Frozen star Josh Gad – will be at the centre of Disney’s debut on-screen “gay moment.”

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/film/beauty...rst-gay-character-1998103#TcGk8jtPxUALiR1s.99

http://www.nme.com/news/film/beauty-and-the-beast-disney-first-gay-character-1998103

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I feel like the "Spoiler Alert" would've been better placed in the headline, which in itself is a bit spoiler-ish (PS. Haven't read your post)

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This is awesome. Might as well. It's not like the far right will boycott them over this since they already started that over other same sex issues with the company long ago.

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The spoiler alert was tongue in cheek. I thought everyone who had seen the original knew which character was gay. The live action just takes it a bit further. Its not really a plot twist or big surprise moment.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

In that case, never mind. Don't care... I thought they might do a "Haha! You thought it'd be him, but in reality, it's the tiny teacup, what's his name? Timmy or something?

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I think there's already a thread about this a few pages long.

7. Zenithal Suspended

Disney's been doing gay characters on their subsidiaries for a long time.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya Wilson "behind the fense".

9. Zenithal Suspended

Pardon? I don't get the reference. There's been shows in the last decade where they had a major or minor non-heterosexual character in their teen or adult shows on their network base.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's pretty big when you think about it. Lots of kids are going to ask their parents about it, or maybe not, maybe if it's normalised then kids will quickly learn that what mummy and daddy have can be shared by a daddy and a daddy. Should highlight who the horrible parents are.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"Mommy, what's he doing with that candlestick?"

12. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I don't remember any particular character seeming gay..

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Alabama Theater Cancels ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Screenings Due to Gay Character

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/beauty-and-the-beast-gay-character-alabama-theater-1202001627/

Not surprising at all. I figured there would be some people complaining about this. The funny thing is, this is a drive-in theatre. I wonder how much "sin" is taking place there on a Friday or Saturday night? Whatever is up on the screen is tame in comparison to what's probably happening in front of it!

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good for them. It wouldn't surprise me if they are being a bit hypocritical and show plenty of PG-13 and R movies that they wouldn't take their 11 and 8 year old grandchildren to see though.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, supposedly they no longer show those either. This is new ownership of the property. However, no matter how family friendly they try and make it, it's a still a drive in! Families have been started at drive in's. :D

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Huh? What is this, the Middle East?

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It may surprise you to know, but even outside the Middle East there are people who don't like things they disagree with being shoved in their faces. However unlike much of the Middle East it is their right here to chose not to endorse it.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Private business, I see no problem.

19. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Two men dancing in the background of a scene... nothing is being shoved in anyone's face.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

All the advertising about there being a gay character is. They could easily put it in there and not advertise it.

21. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Is there advertising? Honest question, I haven't seen any advertising with it in it. Just some stories on Facebook. No commercials or posters.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They definitely seem to be pushing it in interviews, and when the news first came out the entire first page of Google was about the gay scene when I searched for "Beauty and the Beast" It's still pretty close to that although now there are a few news stories about the backlash as well. I'm not sure if it is in any formal advertising or not.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't call depicting people as they actually are in the world as "shoving" anything in faces. I've had heterosexual couples "shoved" in my face for years.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You were first exposed to heterosexual couples about 9 months before your birth!

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes....I know! So rude! They didn't even try to hide it! :D