[Because Apple users have the best taste] Which are the most beautiful PCs out there?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DavidChavez, Jul 2, 2010.

1. DavidChavez macrumors member

Before it all, I want to make my point clear. And please don't behave like the Big Brother and DON'T censor me, OK?

Anyway, beside all the discussion that will be generated here, I wanted to ask you guys which are the most beautiful and useful out there, because I'm thinking to flow between OS X and Windows (and possibly Linux).

I was thinking on a notebook this summer, I want to wait 'till October to have in my hands the brand new MacBook Air or a redesigned 13-in MacBook Pro (c'mon guys, we're all know that they will really have an update) While that happens, I saw a rude Alienware M11x, but I want more like a 13-inch/14-inch gaming computer (the M15x is bit big) or any other that have a illuminated logo (I'm not talking about a HP, but the Envy is nice)
    If not, what about Sheldon Cooper's laptop Dell XPS M1710? Or an Asus Republic of Gamers?

Now talking about desktop computer I was thinking on an touch screen Asus Nettop, but on desktops I'm not an expert. Another idea is build my own gaming computer (one thing is that I'm not a gamer, but I need all that processor capacity for editing photo/video, develop...) with 1,300 bucks I can build my own with an i5. An Alienware Aurora will come later.
    Next thing I need is a big and beautiful canvas, any idea? Screens are not my area.

PD: Please don't be angry with me. PCs are just a work tool, and yep, Macintosh is a PC. I just wanted to show you another options...

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Personally, I'm in love with the Dell Vostro series of laptops. They have a sleek aluminum finish, and are more durable and have better horsepower than a comparable mac.

As far as desktops go, I have a 2-tone box that I love. It's not overloaded with flashing lights, but it has its own flair, while being able to blend into the background at the same time.

I've found, I enjoyed the mac most because I felt like I was a part of an exclusive club. Once I realized that OS X is no better than Windows 7, and Apple is (sometimes) worse than Dell at customer service, the honeymoon was over, and I've been able to get computers that are about 95% as beautiful as an Apple, for about 30% of the price. Seriously, if this Vostro 13 I have had a backlit keyboard, I'd have no regrets at all about going back to Windows fulltime.

3. GS17 macrumors member

GS17

Well i been thinking about building a desktop with an i7 930 wich is $289 and a Gtx 470 since there is no new mac pro in the horizon. If you want inspiration on looks go to http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I was going to say either Reactors or a colorware alienware... But after seeing that MDPC site im in shock.

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

6. hamish5178 macrumors member

7. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

i've always been fond of Antec cases. I had an Antec Sonata III case which was awesome. My brother has an Antec 900 Full ATX case decked out in variable speed LED lights with a bay fan controller that also controls the blue led's attached to his fans. It looks pretty sexy and considering that I only have a Macbook Pro for graphic design, his computer is pretty useful when it comes to playing some hardcore Bad Company 2 :D

[​IMG]

think of that but a lot more blue lights

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

Blue is so overused though =/

Why not go for green or red? :p

Or other fancy colours.

9. DTR macrumors newbie

DTR

You can't go wrong with a Lian Li 100% aluminium case. I've used the v1000 for years now and it still looks brand new. Review

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you go the desktop route I would definitely go the build it yourself route. You can save a fortune over the prebuilt gaming machines. Further if your intention is for it to be a Hackintosh as well. You definitely want to build it yourself as you can select the parts yourself for the greatest compatibility.

The biggest parts you need to check before hand is the motherboard and video card. Make sure to search the insanelymac forums for both the exact model you are looking at. Lets take the ATI Radeon 4850 for example. One of these made by XFX may not be compatible with OS X at all while one built by Sapphire may work out of the box. As for motherboards make sure all components are compatible and work with minimal effort, hopefully off a vanilla install.

Other parts may have issues though less likely except perhaps a wireless card. Many makes and models do work such as Encore.

As for cases Newegg has a great selection. Just choose one that takes at least two 120mm fans so they can run at low RPM's thus generating hardly any noise. Personally I like the look of the Raidmax Smilodon. Though I use a PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet case that I modified to accept an mATX motherboard.

11. jameszjn macrumors newbie

jameszjn

If you want a gaming laptop, ASUS G series is also an option.

12. yukio macrumors regular

the i7 950 will be at that price point in August.... might be worth the wait

(sorry about the formatting)

Intel desktop CPU schedule, 2H10
    CPU model Old price New price
    July
    Core i7-970 N/A 885
    Core i5-760 N/A 205
    Core i5-870S N/A 351
    Core i3-540 133 117
    Pentium E6600 84 75
    Pentium E5500 75 64
    August
    Pentium E5700 N/A 75
    Core i3-560 N/A 138
    Pentium E6800 N/A 86
    Celeron E3500 N/A 53
    Core i7-950 562 294
    October
    Core i3-550 138 117
    Pentium E6700 86 75
    Pentium E5700 75 64
    Celeron E3400 53 42

Source: Motherboard makers, compiled by Digitimes, July 2010

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Seconded for Dell Vostro and HP Envy

Every time I go looking for a possible PC laptop I end up looking at those to machines. The only downside for the Envy is that it doesn't have an optical drive and the many reviews of it state that the trackpad isn't that good.

True to a certain extent, but it does have up-to-date hardware across the board. i.e. they aren't using C2Ds in the 13" Envy.

14. JID macrumors newbie

Anything you build yourself will be the most beautiful, especially if you've had to struggle to get all the pieces to play nicely together! :)

What I find most attractive are the mini-itx boxes that have passive or very quiet cooling. I am tired of the same old atx form factor that's been with us for so long. I think it's possible to make a decent mini-itx gaming machine at this point. And yes, I said "decent", not "great", size does still matter.

15. Marat macrumors newbie

Actually, they are. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=ENVY&series_name=ENVY13_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY13_series

16. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I run my gaming PC in an Antec 900; I think it is the best PC case I've used in terms of both aesthetics and practicality. It is very accessible, runs very quietly due to the 200mm fan on top, and stays very cool. The ventilation holes all over do turn it into a bit of a dust magnet, but that's probably my greatest complaint about it. Even the blue LEDs on the case's stock fans manage to blend in with the case rather than distracting. I definitely recommend it.

17. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

IMO dude, we have Asus at work and they are the worst!!! they are slow, and break down and always have viruses. Not to mention a piece of plastic junk.
    We also have DELL in our edit bays, and they are ok, we just don't have enough memory to run our huge avid program, so makes them freeze sometimes.

Any pC won't stack up to Mac, but just trust your gut, if it seems like too good to be true it is!
    you get what you pay for.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Are you sure? Or did you just look at one model and forget that I said the ENVY's?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s..._prodexp/hhoslp/psg/lateralnav_envy_notebooks

I love owning fanbois like yourself who think they can toss that word around like they themselves had any actual input for it. I especially love it when people like you are WRONG! :D

19. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

Well, you said:

How about reading your own posts, huh?

You were, again, OWNd by a mindless, kool-aid drinking Fanboy. Have a nice day, sir.

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Touche. :p