"Because I don't like you"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, May 2, 2018.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Waiting for the excuses on this one.

Video in link.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/m...ut-of-sambuca-because-hes-black/287-547421482

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

No excuses, the guy is an ass and I have a few friends that know the Mr. Wimbrey and speak highly of him. Many people are calling for that manager to be fired as well as boycotting Sambuca's.

Why would anyone make an excuse for this? I don't think that anyone excused the Starbucks manager either.

3. rafark, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018

rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Thank god he recorded the event. That's what you should ALWAYS do when in a problematic event: quickly turn on your phone's mic and put it in your pocket, trying not to alert them they're being recorded. Evidence like this is pure gold.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This will be explained away somehow. It’s definitely not racism, it’s taking care of a regular. Or something, I guess.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

Thinking like this is part of the problem and the reason that many don't even want to discuss it.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Shameful. I am glad nobody was hurt, and and it is sobering that we all feel relief that another innocent black man wasn't gunned down by police. The manager should be fired.

It's been awhile since I have seen any scene like this in the US, but I used to. My understanding was that in most localities any establishment could simply refuse to serve you, and don't have to offer a reason why. If the manager was legally correct that a business can deny service and then claim you are trespassing if you do not leave at their request, then the law needs looking into.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

He handled it correctly and that makes all the difference. They video taped the exchange and when the manager took off to call the cops, they simply left. That being said, even if the cops showed, they simply would have been asked to leave and if they did that would be the end of it. The hook on this line is that this guy is well known in Dallas as a motivational speaker, so he simply called the local news outlet and told them they have a story to tell.

Hopefully the manager is removed.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The Starbucks manager lost his job the next day. Good for SBX.

But this restaurant is in Texas…. the bet says that the racist manager keeps his job.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

I'm from the area... I doubt he will last long. Texas, especially Dallas, is much more diverse than you think.

Oh, and contrary to your beliefs, we Texans aren't all racist, but thanks for that!

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I ask this with the hope of having a discussion. I am not making excuses. I was not there. All I know of this is what was in the article posted.

Is it harmful to assume the reason is racism any time something negative happens to a minority and the offender is white?

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Racism is not something you can point to and measure with a ruler. It can only be inferred, and this is difficult because people try to hide it (usually). To me it sounds like the manager made this personal, stating he 'did not like' Wimbrey. If he didn't know Wimbrey, then by definition he was pre-judging him, and prejudice is an important element in racism. So at a minimum: in the highly racial charged atmosphere of race relations in the US of which we are all aware, a white man with power seems to have taken a prejudiced action against a black man who had done nothing wrong and had little power.

I agree that we should withhold judgment as best we can, perhaps waiting until we hear from the manager and perhaps the 'regular' who supposedly wanted the table. Still, IMO the manager was guilty of making a business interaction personal, so should be fired.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The manager should be fired ASAP. I know I wouldn’t want him in charge of a restaurant I owned.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

The part where he made it personal is what I think he should be fired for. It's kinda weird how he went there. I could see if he knew this guy and had some past issue with him, but to go to "I don't like you" seems strange.

14. 0007776 Suspended

There is no reason to explain it away, it likely was racism, although it is also possible that the manager is just an idiot in general. But this person handled it in the right way by leaving and then publically shaming the manager.

I also find it interesting that even though people in the Starbucks thread said that there would have been no story and no consequences for the manager if the men had complied and left the person here complied and left and there was a story.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In a country of 300 million people, there is bound to be strange things happening, examples of racism, sexism, and things that just aren't fair. Putting it in front of people and asking them to "explain it" or "make excuses" for the situation serves no one. There will always be jerks out there no matter what year it is or who is in charge.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, it's harmful (not to mention just plain wrong) to assume the reason is racism if there's no evidence that it's racism.

Now in this particular case, maybe race had something to do with it and maybe it didn't, but I don't see enough in the story to draw that conclusion. Sounds like the manager simply wanted to give a regular customer his usual table.

That being said, the manager was completely in the wrong, IMO. Somebody was already seated at that table, the manager should have just let them keep the table and seated the regular customer elsewhere. He handled it very, very wrong.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Yes it is. It’s a cry wolf situation

However, some issues seem to be very obviously racial. When a company, like this case, uses the word “miscommunication”, I always call ********. Be honest, our manager is a jerk and we fired him. Done.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

If someone wanted to cite racism because he was Mexican, I might believe that, it’s Texas, close to the border. Wimbley doesn’t look black to me, he looks Mexican. Reporting this as black racism is irresponsible, especially since race was not mentioned at all.

20. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

IMO, it's harmful NOT to at least suspect racism. What non-blacks don't understand, is us blacks are seeing things from a perception way past the "isolated incidents" or "coincidences". Similar stuff happens to us on a regular basis.

Only thing new about things today, is that it's caught on video/audio, and actually acknowledged by mainstream media because of social media.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

SO much error here.

1. Texans are, by and large, very accepting of Mexicans.
    2. Plano is nowhere NEAR the Mexican border.

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

23. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Didn't take too long. From the company excusing it as a "miscommunication," to replies basically saying but, but, but... Unless racists bastards yell out ******, kike, spic, etc. too many people give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have no doubt it was racism. If it were simply about accommodating a regular, why not politely inform Wimbrey of this? No, he instantly made it personal. "I don't like you!"

He should file a complaint and I hope they lose business. Wimbrey indicated he held a large gathering there in the past. Good luck with Wimbrey and his allies and good people continuing to patronize this racist place.

24. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

So much discrimination these days. Can't people just realise blacks and whites are equal. He made a great choice to record that.

25. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Nice thought but in some states that is illegal.
    Check your local laws first.