Beck: Norway camp smacks of 'Hitler Youth'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mrkramer, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just saw this on CNN, I knew Glenn Beck was pretty messed up, but this is probably one of the worst things I've heard him say. I don't have too much else to say. I decided to start a new thread rather than hijack the other Norway thread, but if a mod feels they should be together feel free to move this post.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/25/beck.norway/index.html?iref=NS1

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Is there any doubt that Beck has Hitler tourette's.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I think it's german guilt. Despite the fact his family was in america long before the holocaust. But yeah that's really messed up. I mean yeah political summer camps for children are creepy, but he shouldn't be talking.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I keep waiting for the day he gets fired but it never comes.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I hate to say it but he seems kind of like a deranged shooting spree type person to me.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Why? Youth political parties are a part of every major political party here. What the hell do you think this is?

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Meh, seems a bit brainwashy to me. We have some of them in the US, though i have no idea where. It's really irrelevant though, he shouldn't have compared them to the hitler youth, thats messed up.

9. Andeavor macrumors 6502

If he said this on any European media outlet he would've been fired in no time.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You seem to have a very loose definition of the word children,either that or a political axe to grind.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what a hypocrite, his organization runs highly politicized camps for young children.
    plus all churches (christian and not) and other organizations have summer camps, and they usually start much younger than this. some are fine, some are really disturbing.
    At least here they were all teen-agers.

12. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Then clearly you've misunderstood what the camp was about. All Norwegian political parties have youth groups, and we're talking about "kids" from 14-25 or so, hardly comparable to the indoctrination of 6-year-olds or anything like that. Personally I wasn't politically active as a young teenager, nor did I ever go to any of these camps, but I suspect it's mostly about hanging out and having interesting conversations about how the world is and should be with similar-minded peers.

(If I remember correctly, despite doing poorly on PISA, newspapers highlighted that at least Norwegian youth had an understanding of their civic duty, or something like that... :p:rolleyes:)

Exactly.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post.

Glenn Beck sounds like one seriously disturbed human being, one well practised in the arts of the double standard, too. A nasty, ugly, vicious thing to say.

14. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Beck is a disgusting human being. He should never say such things!

I cannot believe anyone would say such garbage over the air and intentionally offend so many people.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

16. Surely Guest

Surely

What an attention whore doucher.

From here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/was...-compares-norway-victims-to-hitler-youth.html

Tea party group offers summer camp

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Daffodil is right. Beck's statement is more a reflection of American ignorance than anything else.

It's shameful he's allowed to get away with such horrible slander.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Why "American ignorance"? Why not just Beck ignorance? It's just not fair to group an entire country in with that idiot.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Beck's statement is a reflection of Beck's ignorance. He doesn't speak for all americans.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's offensive that you would even consider that someone as ignorant and distasteful as Glenn Beck would speak for and represent all Americans. His words are an embarrassment. But most of us can absolutely appreciate the difference between a political youth camp and the Hitler Youth.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not at all uncommon for European political parties to have youth rallies or clubs and in talking to people, many were somewhat surprised at this. My apologies if I've hurt anyone's feelings, but Beck is playing to those who are ignorant of what happens outside the US and there are millions of them.

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My mistake, i did misunderstand. I thought the kids were much younger than that.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, a public engaged in the political process throughout their lifetime so creepy. Wouldn't want a functional democracy with an engaged public now would we. :rolleyes:

24. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not all Americans are as ignorant as he is, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't stereotype all of us as being as clueless as Glen Beck. Now a lot of Americans are that ignorant especially among the far right, but by no means all of them, or even a majority.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I explained and apologized in post #22.