Becoming Patricia: A combat veteran's story of transgender life in the Army

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Jun 17, 2015.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/beco...tory-of-transgender-life-in-the-army-1.352723

I was reading this story on S&S and thought the soldier looked familiar after reading it I realized that I do actually know her. How the Army reacts should be interesting.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Interesting. I thought transgender people were still banned from the military.

3. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You're right, in my haste to reply I didn't read the whole article. Now that I have, good for Patricia and good for the army for making it more difficult to discharge a transgender person even though legislation hasn't even been passed to repeal the ban on transgender people in the military.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

6. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

What's a few and in Colorado?

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

This could prove to be a nightmare weapon beyond anything seen at Abu Ghraib.

Have the trans-soldier make amorous advances to captured leaders of ISIS. They’ll feel compelled to behead themselves.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Rgr, Carson. Eight years maybe? He trans after retirement. A WO at 1SFG was on his team when he was a O4. Said he he was a solid officer.

9. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Thanks..

I figured if it was here I would have heard about it.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It looks as if the Army is proceeding cautiously - but decently - in this area. It cannot be easy for anyone involved, certainly not the Sgt. herself - but also not for her comrades, her commanders, or the military bureaucracy.

It may seem counterintuitive, but for such a conservative (small c) institution the US military has historically been at the forefront of many social issues. The US military was the first to successfully racially integrate itself. And I've heard more than one senior officer and DoD official say how the military's decision to permit women into virtually all specialties ended up solving far more problems than it caused. We literally could not have fought the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; or met the recruitment needs those conflicts created, without women. Most recently, of course, it has been end of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" and the broader acceptance of gay and lesbian troops.