Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Recently I have been having lots of static electricity (probably because of the weather), there have been around 4 times where I have touched my MBP and gotten a slight shock due to this. Could I potentially damage my MBP? any precautions I should take? The shocks wouldn't conduct themselves to key hardware components, would they?

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Recently I have been having lots of static electricity (probably because of the weather), there have been around 4 times where I have touched my MBP and gotten a slight shock due to this. Could I potentially damage my MBP? any precautions I should take? The shocks wouldn't conduct themselves to key hardware components, would they?

Macbook Pros are made of aluminium, they don't conduct electricity.
Rip your computer apart and touch the motherboard, now that's a different story.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
^ i wouldn't worry about it if you are just using it and not working on it internally. if you plan on opening it up you should have some sort of discharger or else you may damage something.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Macbook Pros are made of aluminium, they don't conduct electricity.
Rip your computer apart and touch the motherboard, now that's a different story.

Aluminum is a metal, and by definition, metals conduct electricity. However, when electricity is conducted along a metal, the flow stays along the outside, as the electrons repel each other. If the machine is plugged in, the electrons flow to ground throw the cord. If not, they dissipate wherever they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.