Been having lots of static electricity: Could I potentially damage my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    #1
    Recently I have been having lots of static electricity (probably because of the weather), there have been around 4 times where I have touched my MBP and gotten a slight shock due to this. Could I potentially damage my MBP? any precautions I should take? The shocks wouldn't conduct themselves to key hardware components, would they?
     
  2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #2
    Macbook Pros are made of aluminium, they don't conduct electricity.
    Rip your computer apart and touch the motherboard, now that's a different story.
     
  3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #3
    ^ i wouldn't worry about it if you are just using it and not working on it internally. if you plan on opening it up you should have some sort of discharger or else you may damage something.
     
  4. Detrius macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2008
    Location:
    Asheville, NC
    #4
    Aluminum is a metal, and by definition, metals conduct electricity. However, when electricity is conducted along a metal, the flow stays along the outside, as the electrons repel each other. If the machine is plugged in, the electrons flow to ground throw the cord. If not, they dissipate wherever they can.
     

Share This Page