Been invited on an open ended trip round South East Asia - no idea where to research!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cromulent, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've been invited on an open ended trip round South East Asia, which I am really quite keen on but I have no idea what the best places to find information on doing this sort of thing are. Does anyone know any really good backpacking resources for people looking to go travelling on the cheap?

Any help appreciated :).

2. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

Try this:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/asia/places

You'll find good info on costs, where to go, passport/visa info and other things that you may need to know for each country.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As the above poster wrote Lonely Planet make the best guides.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

SE Asia is pretty diverse. Care to narrow it down? Advice for Singapore won't be the same as advice for Thailand which won't be the same for Vietnam, etc.

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

No idea really. We are going for pretty long time and are just planning to go where we feel.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Lonely Planet.

6. eldy macrumors 6502

You should look up some "how to spot a tranny" guides. What you use the information for is up to you.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You must visit Laos. It's bleedin' beautiful!

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Michelin guidebooks are excellent, particularly the Green book, although I don't know if it's the best for backpackers, or for Asia. Most guidebooks like Lonely Planet are no better than the rest, such as Let's Go, Frommers, etc. LP just happens to be the most famous, and that's usually for their Europe guides.

Even then, most of them are just good for basic information about the city and tourist attractions for when you can't read the local signs. That's why the map inside is kind of important. The hotel and hostel sections are always poor because they don't really list a great deal of them. You really have to go online to find more hostels. Combine internet research with the guidebook recommendations.

So forget the hotel and restaurant guides. You are buying these books to tell you the details regarding:

- travel etiquette.
    - social etiquette.
    - safety practice.
    - FYI.
    - good markets.
    - cost of common, basic goods (so that you don't get ripped off by those who want to take advantage of tourists).
    - decent maps for when you first get into the city.
    - the background information and historical significance of some of the tourist attractions.

If the guidebook doesn't have decent maps for a particular country, then you'll feel a huge disappointment in your guidebook.

Some guidebooks like Lonely Planet will have a very good guidebook on Europe, but may not be good at....Australia, for example. You really do need to look inside the book and judge for yourself.

Check this out. Scroll down to the 2nd entry.

9. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I'd love to visit Laos but it depends on what the others want to do partly.

I bought "The Rough Guide to South East Asia on a Budget" which looks pretty good. I'm starting to really look forward to this trip, it is something that is completely different for me.

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Singapore is a good start for Asia Lite for its high level of English spoken though it can be expensive.

Vietnam is quite beautiful though it becomes more and more Westernized. Saigon (HCMC officially) is a good place to start then head up to China Beach.

Thailand is a mixed bag, lots of good and lots of trashy. Beautiful beaches though and can be a fun time.

Bali is also expensive but worth it for the sunsets alone.

Angkor Wat in Cambodia is majestic though the rest of the country can be left behind.

Indonesia, outside of Bali, and Malaysia are pretty much like Thailand/Singapore mixed together.

Never made it the Philippines.

11. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Does anyone have any experience of Burma? I've read about doing treks through the rainforest there and was wondering if it was worth it?