Been out of the game for a while ... Jailbreak for 4.2.1 out?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by krayziekray, Jan 15, 2011.

1. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Hey all, before some of you go on a rant about searching the threads, I want to make it clear I have been reading the threads, but have had mixed responses from both this site, others and the trusty old google.

I've been out of the Jailbreaking scene since upgrading from my 3G to iP4. Is there currently an unteathered jailbreak out for iOS 4.2.1?

I have seen some videos on google/youtube claiming the teathered jailbreak can be converted to an unteathered one using the latest Redsn0w, but I'm unsure as the iPhone Dev Team's blog doesn't mention this.

Could you please give me a run down on the current situation?

Thanks in advance

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The jailbreak for the 3G is untethered and will always be that way.

3. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the reply. I should really update my sig. I have an iP4 now ... What's the deal with that at present?

4. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

If you had read the OP's post, you probably wouldn't have missed this crucial line.

I've been out of the Jailbreaking scene since upgrading from my 3G to iP4.

OP: There's a beta redsn0w out, but don't expect anything else until 4.3.

5. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Its tethered presently but works fine, go for it. The untethered version is being worked on unless you have your 4.2b3 shsh blobs saved then yes you can untether it.

6. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks guys!

Does this mean that if my phone crashes or I restart it, I have to re-jailbreak, otherwise I can't use my phone (make calls, turn it on and use it)? Or will it work fine, but just not jailbroken?

No ETA on the unteathered? Read on some site that it was suppose to be out by Christmas?

Thanks again, you're a real help :)

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You don't have to rejailbreak, but you do have to use redsn0w to "boot tethered".

8. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, so the phone won't boot till I connect to pc/mac and run redsn0w? Am I correct?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That is correct.

10. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Yep, supposedly comex has been working on an untethered jb for a while now but since 4.3 was just announced he will most likely wait for that.

11. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

I was under the impression that you can stiil use the iphone but not under the jb state, you only need to tether and boot through redsn0w to get back into the jb

12. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Mine is 3GS 4.2.1 and requires a tethered boot. It will boot fine w/o the tether but none of the JB apps will work. At least you can use the phone until you get back to your pc. :)

13. frud0 macrumors newbie

does the above hold true for iphone4? that a tethered jailbreak will atleast allow you to use the phone (unjailbroken) in case the piece has to be restarted/ or restarts?

i have a 4.2.1 iphone4 factory unlocked

14. gregrose macrumors 6502

i want to know this too.

can we reboot the phone & everything BUT the JB apps will work, or will the phone do nothing at all?

15. saxman macrumors 6502

If you install any Cydia apps that use mobilesubstrate (MyWi, My3G, etc.) the phone will not boot all the way. It will hang at the silver apple logo. I believe if you don't install any apps that use mobilesubstrate, that most of the phones functions will work except for Safari. I believe the current jailbreak requires "moving" safari in some way and won't work if not jailbroken.

There is a beta that can untether the iPhone 4 4.2.1 jailbreak. It's not 100% working, some trouble with iBooks and MSN messenger app, but it works fine how I use my iPhone 4

16. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Ive been away for awhile myself but have LimeRa1n JB.

Is it just my perception or has it been a really long time (a really long time) for this new JB to happen?

Are the vulnerable exploits becoming fewer & farther between with each update?

17. Solange82200 macrumors regular

It does seem like they are taking a while... I have my Iphone 4 still on 4.1 so I can keep the untethered jailbreak, the beta Redsnow that came out (for 4.2.1 and untethered) seems too unstable for me, they are still saying "testers only please". I would like to update, but Im not sure if its worth the risk of a buggy jailbreak. I for sure will never use a tethered jailbreak again, it sucks when you go out of town or on a trip, my phone usually dies after taking pictures, and since i dont pack my laptop, I end up with no phone till I get home. That happened to me with my 3gs back in the day, with geohot's blackra1n that was tethered... never again...