Been seeing an odd trend lately …

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

… been hanging out at Starbucks a lot lately and I notice a weird trend of people bringing both a laptop and an iPad and using both at the same time. I don't have an iPad yet, so I'm curious how this could be convenient on any level.

I imagine if and when I do buy an iPad, I would only use one at a time.

2. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I use both frequently. If I'm writing a paper I might use my iPad to display the research. If I'm reading book and surfing the web, moving info from my MBA to my iPad, using an app and doing something related or unrelated on my MBA, I use both.

Basically the iPad can serve as a second and more interactive screen to display content while you're using a laptop. It works great for me. Oh just thought of another reason, it keeps me from printing unnecessary paper because the iPad can display meeting agendas, articles, powerpoints, etc while I'm working on my laptop.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

You do realize that your laptop can already do agendas, display articles, power points etc also right lol

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

I use both frequently, even in university lectures- ebook textbook on the ipad and notes and powerpoint slides on the other.

I also like having both on the go and I use the displayPad app with an adhoc network so i have a secondary display on the go. Great for any dual screen use that you may have (photoshop, itunes, reading article and writing at same time, list is endless)

5. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

:rolleyes: The poster provided a valid response. MANY people will use the iPad to display information as a "second monitor" when out and about. For instant working on a research paper while having the data they are using displayed on the iPad. So they don't have to flip back and forth between windows on a single screen...

6. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

While my laptop can easily side-by-side two windows (13" 1600x900 res :D), I still use my iPad for displaying research information out of sheer convinience. Only thing it may detract is copy+paste functionality, though I've been using that quite a bit less, I've noticed...

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I frequently do it, when working. I access the website on my computer, but for medication identification and etc. it's faster to find with my iPad apps,

8. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

Another thing is that it might be their work pc and their personal iPad. There are some files/browsing you wouldn't want or be able to do on the other. I know I've done this a few times before.

9. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Nothing to be concerned about.

What's more alarming is those people that order an espresso and a hot tea, and drink it concurrently.

;)

-t

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Maybe they're dumping data on the iPad with their laps.

11. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

LOL! That is a bit more distressing.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

I use both at the same time. I usually do the research and reading on the iPad and do the typing on the computer. While you can do all of this on the computer, the ability to touch your screen and manipulate your research coupled with the fact that you have a second display makes you a lot more productive and efficient.

13. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Great thread/replies. I also noticed this 'trend' when waiting in line for the iPhone 4S, on launch day. This one guy kept alternating between his MBA and iPad it mad me wonder the same. Seemed kind of redundant to me, since I've never used mine like that. Usually it's one or the other for me.

14. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I sometimes use both. Sometimes it will be a book or two on the iPad that I am using for research. Other times it will be transcribing hand written notes or recordings to my laptop.

15. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I do it occasionally, though I prefer not doing it if I don't have to.

Usually, I'm working on something on my laptop and using my iPad to display related papers, texts, or video streams (like lectures).

16. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Whats the point in an iPad when you got a MBA.

The MBA is clearly just as portable, much faster, much more feature capable.

Has an Actual Keyboard too.

Doesnt make any sense

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I like the iPad because it DOES NOT have a keyboard. Makes it easier to hold when reading. Is also easier to take out and use in cramped situations where you don't have space to lay down the keyboard. Like right now, I'm typing this on my iPad in my bed. Would take twice as much space to open up my MacAir, and probably disturb my still-sleeping partner if I were to do so. If I want to do extensive typing, then sure, I use my MacAir or the iMac, but for reading or tapping out a short note (or forum post), iPad is best.

18. shortcrust macrumors 6502

So often on this forum you come across people don't seem to be able to imagine any way of doing things other than their way of doing things. Any weird and wonderful combination of devices and screens will likely be the best combination for somebody, somewhere.;)

19. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

I tend to use my iPad and iMac at the same time - as others have mentioned, the iPad is great for using as a pseudo second-screen for simply viewing or reading, quickly checking emails etc, while doing "proper" work on the Mac.

20. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Once you're accustomed to using two monitors, it's difficult to get along with one. (Much like flying first class.) I'm currently sitting at my desk with two computers (desktop and laptop), each with two monitors and the iPad.

When I travel having a single screen on a 15" laptop feels very cramped. The iPad provides access to email and quick access to the web while the laptop handles the heavy lifting. I do very little texting but I suspect that those who need (or want) to stay in constant contact would find the iPad a useful adjunct.

21. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

While I understand the use case described (ie iPad as a second monitor) I do NOT envy you guys carrying around all that guck. I mean jeez I've made it a primary goal - and have pretty much achieved it - of using my iPad and only my iPad, for pretty much everything.

22. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

I do that all the time. One to supplement the other. Browsing for research is easier on the iPad while writing out a story or taking notes on a MacBook, for instance.

23. fashiondgal007 macrumors newbie

I don't consider it as an odd trend. On the contrary it can be very helpful to get the work done really fast and without carrying all the items, such as heavy textbooks, sketchbooks, drawing tools, etc.

24. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

A) You've only got so much screen space at once. Plenty of people use their laptop as a second monitor for their desktop sometimes, do you laugh at them, too?

B) Many people (like me) far prefer an iPad to a laptop for reading because, unlike the vertical laptop screen, you can hold it at the same natural reading angle you'd hold a paper or book at.

25. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Ha ha

When working on a presentation the other day on the road -- I had my iPad out with Keynote and my Kindle Fire with Evernote and my Wiki.

My iPad really is my primary on-the-go work machine. I'm finding myself avoiding desktop applications that don't have good counterparts on the iPad. Dropbox has become my "primary" hard disk where I keep all of my work in progress.

I can get a lot done with just the iPad. When working on anything longer than 10 or so pages, I grab my bluetooth keyboard and Origami case. (The case wraps around and protects the keyboard, but unfolds to form a stand for the iPad -- it's pretty cool.)

So, yeah, I often have 2 or 3 screens going. iPad for editing/data entry and my Kindle or iPhone for looking things up or general reference.

I have thought about the Macbook Air, but I really don't see the need for one, as the iPad does everything I need.