Been turning apple watch off at nigh time for a month have I danger my battery?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Barcafan89, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Barcafan89 macrumors member

Barcafan89

I have done so for the last several months and curious has this damaged my apple watches battery? I have only just realised its supposed to be put in to power reserve instead of being shut off at night time.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Just charge the thing overnight. You are overthinking it.

3. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

Will it have caused a possible battery damage?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, and don't overthink it.

5. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

What do you mean by overthinking it? Never heard that term before haha.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Overthinking is to worry about do something that is not a problem or won't make any relative difference not matter what decision you make. If you really feel the need to understand battery tech then go here and you can read until your heart is content.

http://batteryuniversity.com

7. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

I just like to keep my apple products in box condition I take a lot of care for them. (I know box condition is impossible but i try my best)
    So to end this thread with a conclusion turning my Apple watch off over the past few months at night won't effect the device in anyway possible? And I should start using the power reserve mode instead?

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Just use the thing already. As others have already posted: it doesn't matter.

Power off, power reserve, normal power on. It makes NO difference.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Why would you use power reserve unless you're away from home and low on power? You don't need to turn it off and you don't need to put it on power reserve mode either. Just put the damn watch on its charger and forget about it.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

When you take it off at the end of the day, put it on the charger. Don't put it into power save or turn it off.

There's no telling what that has or has not done to your battery.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Most likely it has no effect on the battery, but still, what the hell is the point? I don't get why the OP feels the need to overcomplicate things. Some serious OCD behaviors going on here....

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Seriously? We're trying to help OP become less paranoid not more.

13. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

Overthinking definition, I guess it's an American term. Also known as over-analyze or analysis paralysis.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or in the Eastern world, pensiveness, considered to be the result of overthinking.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op turning it off will make no difference except waiting two minutes every day for it to power up.

The charge circuit works whether the watch is on or off so no damage will be caused doing so.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

You don't need to turn it off and you don't need to charge it overnight either. I have the 38mm Watch and I wear it to bed every nigh as I use it for a silent alarm. I've never had an issue with battery life.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't turn my mine off but rather charge it up, so its at 100 percent and ready for action for me in the morning :)

18. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

Your trying to help me become less parioniod?
    My Apple watch battery is the same as it was when I brought It and I'm new to the whole apple world as I'm an expert when it comes to android devices until I realised how bad they were so I moved to apple I didn't know that Apple products were supposed to be left on.
    I turn my Mac off because I'm so use to turning a windows machine off at night and the same applied to my Apple watch. I just stuck it in power reserve mode over night to save the battery while I slept and it's still running the same charge from yesterday. A YouTuber mentioned that they did the same by putting it in to power reserve over night anyway. I appreciate the help guys

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My bad.

In Mac support, the first thing we ask is "when did you last reboot," because the majority of Mac owners just leave their Macs on until a system update forces a restart. Very unlike Windows.

Don't turn your iPhone off either.

20. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

I don't turn my iPhone off I know a lot about iPhones I'm just pretty novice when it comes to Mac as I mentioned above I have not noticed any issues as I have had my Mac since October 2014 and I have been turning it off and it seems to fine would this have any lasting effect? I'm gonna sell it and buy the 15 inch with retina soon anyway

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Shouldn't effect it at all.

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

???:confused::confused:
    Dude. There is no one right way to use a computer. Do whatever works for you. Apple doesn't mandate whether you should turn off your computer at night or put it to sleep or leave it running. It's up to you. I know I know, these are very difficult life or death decisions.

Jeez. How do you decide what to eat for lunch?

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

As far as you watch goes just use it and put on the charger while sleeping. Do not turn it off or put it in power reserve, just put it on the charger and go to sleep. Wake up and repeat.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How did you go from turning off your electronics on a regular basis to being paranoid about it?

25. meikdunj macrumors member

I charge mine when I get home and turn it off until next day. I've no reason to wear it in the house. Haven't noticed any battery issues in 4 months of doing this.