Before Her Assassination, Berta Cáceres Singled Out Hillary Clinton for Backing Honduran Coup

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/11/before_her_assassination_berta_caceres_singled
    war hawk criminal mastermind is what you get with Clinton.

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well the states have been meddling in the affairs of other countries like this for a long time now... usually the buck stopped at the Pres... but now I guess they are putting blame (warranted or not) on Hillary every chance they get.

Organizing a change of events, to trick your target into holding a surprise referendum, then coerce the supreme court of Honduras, capture the guy, then ship him to Costa Rica, the force him to sign a letter... Damn you guys don't have that kind of patience usually it's a lone gunman...
    <makes tinfoil pirate hat> :rolleyes:

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Wouldn't it be just easier if she put blame (warranted or not) on Trump?

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

She (and the Obama administration) violated domestic law by continuing to provide military assets to the Honduran government that came to power through the coup. They played a very delicate game where they never said in any official settings that it was a coup, which is a ******** way to "get around" the law, but it's still a violation nonetheless.

This of course isn't factoring in at all the CIA support for overthrowing the Honduran government.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's ok when democrats do it......to SOME

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is a practice that has been going on for decades. We technically shouldn't be selling arms to Egypt right now either...but we are.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

She knows it's as silly as people blaming her.

Is there any evidence of CIA involvement? The USA providing "military assets" to countries is nothing new, and sadly neither is finding ways to "get around" the law.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't know if you guys read these things in depth, but here's the thing about that democracy now article:
    • He claims the plane landed in a US airbase in Honduras. Not particularly telling as I'm sure the Honduras military had landing/refuelling privileges there.
    • He also claims that it was "right wing" conspiracy ... now America is known as being pretty right-wing (even on the left) so that may not hold a lot of gravitas, but he specifically names Roger Noriega as one of the conspirators. That's interesting as he was the Under Secretary of State for the Bush administration. Also very interesting to note that Mr. Noriega was Ambassador to Venezuela after experiencing it's own coup. ... and really damned interesting to find out he was part of a Honduran business lobby group in 2009 (post Honduran coup).
    Then finally there's this exchange in the interview:
    Which I believe is the crux of the point, if it was a conspiracy, it's a problem with America's foreign policy... and for some reason extends beyond the will of the elected.

Even if you think the US government is behind this, (which seems to be a lot of effort for bananas) you might as well blame Trump too since he's a businessman and corporate interests seem to be involved in this "conspiracy".

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

US foreign policy operates almost exclusively to benefit the corporate class, been that way for decades. You confuse me with someone that gives a **** about the Clinton/Trump debate when in reality I'm against neoliberalism, meaning US foreign policy and empire.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Not confusing you, but @jkcerda was the one who brought up Hillary. As for US foreign policy.... they keep making the same mistake over and over again... I do see some lack of enthusiasm to do more of the same (which is good), but really if this coup was demanded by fruit companies and the USA went along with it. That's just messed up for the dumbest of reasons.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not unprecedented by any means. Are you familiar with how the term "banana republic" came about?

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There is a lot of mileage in Central and South America in blaming imperial powers for current problems, so a claim by a politician is hardly a trustworthy source. We know certainly about US intervention in Nicaragua and El Salvador (for which we should pay reparations but withdrew fromt he world court to avoid doing so), so this wouldn't surprise me, but I do not see any definitive evidence.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yes, it's etymology is from works of fiction (based on some true events); and adopted to by political-science to describe a country with limited economic markets, run by a dictatorship that will bow to corporate needs over the public's... I it was usually corrupt businessmen pulling strings and padding pockets of the local government. ;)

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How in the world are you ever going to get a "definitive source" for covert action until decades later? It's no secret that we fund destabilization efforts all over the world. This disgusting international crime spree didn't end in the 80's.

We also stood by the illegitimate government ever since: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/opinion/in-honduras-a-mess-helped-by-the-us.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/wikileaks-honduras-state_b_789282.html

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/07/03/the-hidden-script-of-us-militarization-in-honduras/

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/dana_frank_responds_to_hillary_clintons_defense_20160414

So yes, when the US actively supports illegitimate governments, as a world superpower we share the blame.