Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPnoob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Good afternoon, friends.

Our dear daughter is getting to the point where she wants to watch movies... over and over and over... thus, we need to BUY our movies and not RENT. We currently have an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and a 2010 Macbook Pro i5 and thinking about an AppleTV2 and iPad 2. Questions are as follows:

-When I download a movie from iTunes in HD, I assume I will have two files on my laptop... one HD and one SD. Is the file downloaded in 1080p or 720p? I would like to think the next ATV will have 1080p output, so it would be nice if the files themselves are already in 1080p.
-Audio. How are the audio tracks encoded? I assume Dolby Digital 5.1 but I want to make sure.
-Where are the files stored? If I buy from my iPhone 4, is it always on the iPhone 4? Can I transfer to the laptop? Also, how LARGE are the HD files (like Cars 2)?
-We do not have an iPad 2 yet, but if I buy a HD movie on the iPad, can I watch it in HD on the iPad or do I have to watch in SD?
-I heard that if you RENT a movie on a iPhone/iPad/Mac, you can watch it on any other iDevice, including ATV... but if you rent on ATV, you cannot play on any other iDevice other then the ATV... true?:(
-Are there any iCloud enhancements for iTunes movies? It would be nice to be able to redownload movies if something ever happened to the downloaded file.

Thank you guys for the help! Thankfully, my daughter has good taste in movies... (Wall-E, The Incredibles, A Bug's Life, Nemo..)

bond007hmss

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
The previous poster is correct in saying that you do get two movie files one in HD and one SD (assuming you buy the HD version), but both show up as a single in iTunes and are stored in the same folder on your hard drive. (This is the same folder that holds all your other iTunes media) Also the files are in 720P not 1080, yet.

Movies are in 5.1 unless they are older movies that were never remastered in 5.1

Also if you download a movie to your phone, it will transferred to your laptop the next time you sync your phone. If you have home sharing turned on then any other device that can connect to iTunes can access the content.

If the device supports playing the HD version it will lay the HD version otherwise it will play the SD version (Hence why you get two files)

As of right now iCloud only supports redownloading of music and TV shows. Apple is supposedly working with the studios to allow this for movies also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.