Before I return my iPhone 4s...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbell1975, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to see if I was missing something. First, ringtones. I really have to download it to my phone, email it, download it on my computer, drop it into iTunes and then sync my phone? Just to add a custom ringtone? Do I really need a separate dialer app just to be able to see my contacts as I start to dial? Downloaded Dialveteca which works ok but then when I enter a number, I have no ability to add a new contact from it. Anything all in one? No alternative keyboards? I also can't stand having to work around putting the address of a place into my telenav app since I can't get voice guided directions from safari.

2. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Which is why so many of us Jailbreak our iPhones...

3. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I shouldn't have to hack my phone just to add a custom ringtone. I suppose this is why I have always resisted having an iPhone although I own every other Apple product. Got spoiled with Android I guess. Any jailbreaks for 5.1 yet?

4. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

So you're willing to switch devices b/c of ringtones, and keyboards (even though the iOS keyboard is one of the most highly regarded touch keyboards on any device)?

5. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, there are many things, these are just the ones that bug me most. The Swype keyboard is a ton better IMO but that's personal preference

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why would you download on the iPhone first? You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. IIRC there are ringtone apps as well.

If it's really that critical to you then switch. Every option has pros and cons and it's up to you to determine where you're willing to compromise. If you want file level access on IOS you have to JB.

Safari's a browser, not a nav app. All the stuff you're complaining about makes it seem like you really should look into JB'ing. I use Navigate from Maps precisely for this sort of thing.

7. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using a ringtone app

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

To me it sounds like android appeals more to you.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Short answer: no. Return your iPhone. Get an Android. Good luck.

10. Nand macrumors regular

Nand

Ringtones, keyboard's vs
    (quote from you)... "I have owned several Samsung Android phones. Wait till you start getting apps crashing, force closing and destroying your battery life. It's great fun!"

11. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

iOS is different and it sounds like you've been spoiled by Android. If you like all the Android features then yeah return it but just think about whether or not they're worth it.

12. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

14. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Not yet, I just downloaded the "ringtones" app, it is a bit of the pain in the @$$, most likely because apple wants you to buy their ringtones from the appstore rather than let you make your own. I am sure all these functionalities will be added in newer iOS versions that will probably only be available on the iPhone "6" etc lol

15. itjw macrumors 65816

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Having owned a samsung android phone (o.g. galaxy) I'll take the standard ringtones of the iPhone and the (better than swype) keyboard over having to reflash my phone every few months cause it deteriorates so quickly (even with NO NEW APPS).

You'll be back eventually...

17. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Also, Safari is a browser. :rolleyes:

18. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, there are things I like and dislike about both iOS and Android as was pointed out above. I don't care that Safari is a browser. I can use the browser on my S2 or Note to find a local Best Buy with Google and then press a few buttons and be on my way with Google maps, has navigation built in to it. Was hoping Safari could do the same with its location services but I just get directions on screen, no actual navigation.

19. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

OP, If things bug you that much, return your phone. Life's too short to spend this much time on such menial things. Some like the iPhone. Some don't. It's all personal preference.

I hope you find a phone that works for you and has no annoying features, whatever those may be.

20. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't start this thread to complain, I started it in hopes of there being ways to do certain things I wanted to do easier or a method I don't know.

21. pirarre macrumors 6502

I get so tired of hearing about Android Apps Force Closing etc. iPhone apps force close too. It's been several times I that I been using an iOS app , only to have it force close and go back to the homescreen. The iPhone is not immune to issues. So I hope people stop acting like it is. Both platforms have their ups and downs.

Now to the OP, I have both a Epic 4G Touch and iPhone 4s and I can tell you, it sounds like Android would be more appealing to you. I am into customization too and that's what i like about Android. However, the iPhone is sleek and their apps is a lot more polished. I downloaded a game on on my iphone and it looked and played flawlessly. I downloaded a similar game on my E4GT and it looked horrible. I compare it to the Android Game being Atari and the iPhone Game being xbox 360 or PS 3. The game play was also choppy on the E4GT.

However, battery life on my E4GT is a lot better than what I get on my iPhone 4s. My E4GT last between 10-12 hours a day on minimum - medium usage. On the other hand my iPhone last about 8-9 hours.

All in all, just do you. If you want customizations, ringtones..etc. get an Android. if you want a device that's gonna get supported for more than 2 years and don't have to worry about updates etc...keep your iPhone 4s.

22. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I also have the ET4G and iPhone 4s as well as the Galaxy Note. Thanks

23. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I can appreciate that. The nature of these forums is that many come here to complain and many come here to defend or rationalize. I try not to read or focus on subjective arguments such as one feature is better than another. Based on the title of your thread I thought it might be about hardware issues, which do interest me. I personally don't understand why people spend so much time telling others what they hate about someone else's phone or how their personal phone is superior too someone else's phone

No offense meant by my post. I really do hope you find a phone that works for you.

24. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

Wow, alright, really?? Take it back! Have fun with whatever you get and take care!

25. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You clearly don't understand how to use the phone, I'd return it.