Before you pay for an "early upgrade" on an ATT family plan.....(Dont do it).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanZy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SeanZy, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Edit: Credits to JayLenochiniMac for this bit of info .... "However, keep in mind that adding a line won't be $9.99 per month if you've already upgraded to the mobile share plan as even a dumbphone on that plan is $30 per month. " Let me just say THIS WILL NOT WORK FOR FAMILY PLANS WITH SHARED DATA PLANS.
    (Well it will work, it will just be much more expensive).

I just wanted to bring to light an option that a lot of people do not know they have when getting a new iPhone.

For a 16GB early upgrade, you will be paying 450 plus tax, bringing the total to about 500 dollars.

However, one option that you can do is open a new line on the account.

You open the line, and purchase the iPhone 5 on that line. You pay about 250 for the 16GB after taxes. You have to add a data plan when opening the line of course, but you can just add the cheapest one.

You then take the iPhone 5, and put it on your current line that is not eligible for an upgrade yet. You can grandfather the unlimited data plan (if you have it), and you will now have the same number.

So what do you do with the extra line you opened? Well, you just need an old ATT phone that does not need the data. You can put that old phone on the line, and cancel the data plan, making that line 10 dollars per month to have.

Early upgrade: 450 + tax = About 500 dollars.

Adding new line: 36 dollar activation fee, 250 for the new iPhone 5, and 10 dollars a month for 24 months. Total = 526

THE BIG DIFFERENCE HOWEVER is that you do not need to come up with the 500 dollars up front. In addition, your original line is untouched, and will be eligible for an upgrade the next time the new iphone comes out.

This is an option a lot of people do not know about, and it can add a lot of versatility to your family plan for future upgrades. I just wanted to share :)

----------

I just also wanted to add you will have to go to the ATT store for much of this because of the new nano sim, but the trouble is worth the amount gained from it.

2. al0513 macrumors 6502

You are correct! I spent over an hour on the phone with AT&T because one guy promised me a $199 upgrade with no early upgrade fee..$250. I have decided to go With the extra line.. Buy iPhone at $199 and pay the $9.99 per month on the dummy line. Why? Because I asked her if I paid the $250 + $199 for the phone on my current line, would I run into the same problem next year? She said yes. I probably would. So in turn, it will be the same hassle as everyone else is running into. She did however,give me a $30 credit per month for 6 months (giving me free unlimited texting) for my troubles. I told her I wanted to make the switch to big red but it really isn't worth it. I will run into the same problem next year with red and they don't offer the same $250+ 199 for the upgrade, I'd have to wait it out. All and all, I'm not happy since ive been to upgrade every year with no problems. I might wait until my one year is up, oct 13th, and see if my upgrade changes. She informed me that it's apple that is locking in the contracts. Apple won't allow any carrier to offer the subizied upgrade. I don't know if that is all that true. Maybe we should all hold out and protest :)

3. MR1324 macrumors 6502

big question: can i add a new line to my family plan during the apple site preorder?

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I will be doing the same thing. new iPhone every year.

5. SeanZy, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes you can.

The three options when purchasing or preordering an iphone are create a new account, upgrade an exiting line, or add a new line to an existing account

6. MR1324 macrumors 6502

Fantastic! Thanks for creating this thread. I read about this method in a few other posts, but was still confused about the setup process. You made things really clear for this newb!

7. summitRun macrumors regular

Really? So you because you cant scrap together $250 you want to go through all this non-sense, including having a useless 2nd line so you can spread that cost out over two years?

Here's an idea... how about getting a 2nd job working 8 hours on 3 consecutive Saturdays @ $10/hr...scrubbing toilets if necessary. Problem solved

8. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

can this be done with sprint? i have a single line

can i do the same ?

9. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol please, do not come into a thread acting like you know about my life or how much money I have. I can buy the iPhone next week at full price if I wanted to. This is not about the money.

What it is about, however, is paying the same amount overall, and having more flexibility with my upgrades a year from now.

Im 20 years old and make much more than 10 dollars an hour. Get out of here with your crap.

----------

I would not want to comment on sprint because I do not have experience with them. I do not want to mislead you.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Great post. I've advocated the same thing. However, keep in mind that adding a line won't be $9.99 per month if you've already upgraded to the mobile share plan as even a dumbphone on that plan is $30 per month.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I get what y'all are saying. But there's an added benefit to paying up front. The purchase is made. You no long have to worry about it. You never know what is going to happen a couple of months down the road. After a while, all those monthly costs add up.

I don't need to lecture on finances, but that's why I would pay the early upgrade fee up front.

12. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that info. I put it in the OP with your credit.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Posters like you make it very difficult to obey the no name calling rule. It has nothing to do with the upfront $ really. Number 1 I'm not leaving AT&T so an "unlocked" phone is pointless other then higher resale value. Number 2 unlocked phones aren't offered on launch. Number 3 by doing an "early" upgrade you will then be doing it every year. This way you get the phone subsidized every year for only $10 a month. Either using your main line or the new line. one will be available for an upgrade. so if you do the math.

iPhone $200 + $120 a year = $320
    iPhone $200 + $250 early upgrade = $450

your actually saving money every year.

BTW I could buy 10 unlocked unsubsidized iphones if I wanted too thats not the point. We are planning for the future. We like getting the newest gadgets we work full time jobs thats our right and this is a smart way to do it without the hassle of wondering if you have subsidy or not.

14. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

If he said he got a second job scrubbing toilets just to be able to afford the new iPhone, you'd say that he shouldn't work so hard for material things.

Also, why assume he "can't" gather $250? Why not assume he doesn't want to pay it?

Your post is unnecessarily bitter. It's one of the reasons I wish we still had the downvote button. Your post subtracts from this conversation, yet it is rated at 0, which is higher than it should be.

15. Maximus831 macrumors member

I'm currently on the 550 min family shared plan with three iphones. Am I eligible to add another line? I just read that the maximum number of lines was 3 on the 550 min plan. Is this correct? If so, then this plan wouldn't work for me.

16. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont understand the argument of "after a while, those monthly charges add up".....

They do add up, they add up to the same amount I would have payed up front. If anything comes up that I can not pay the extra 10 dollars per month (thats the only amount more you are paying this way), then I think there are bigger problems overall.

BUT I still respect your decision on how to handle your money. Im not going to attack you for it like that other guy lol

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

are you kidding me? What is the point of that? your not sharing data.....

18. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayLeno posted that this method will not work with the shared plans, as the new lines cost 30 dollars regardless. I just updated the OP to reflect this

19. MR1324 macrumors 6502

You guys missed the main advantage of doing this method. It will allow you not only to get the iphone 5 at the fully subsidized price, but it will free up your main line and allow it to be fully subsidized for the next iphone. This method should then basically allow you to upgrade every year at the fully subsidized price. The other option would be paying full price for the phone (so that next year I would be able to get full subsidizing), which I was thinking about doing, until I learned more about this method.

20. Maximus831 macrumors member

Are you talking about the bundled data plan where you share the data?

21. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i had another question...when i put an old phone to that extra line, won't i have to pay an activation fee?

22. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No you will not be charged another activation fee when putting an old phone on that dummy line... you will only be charged a 36 dollar activation fee for opening the line initially. This is just like giving a family member an old iPhone to use on their line, nothing is changed, just the SIM card is switched.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm just saying the method of adding a new line for $9.99 per month is not possible if you're on or move to the newer mobile share plan (rather than the older plans). So don't upgrade to the mobile share plan because that'll cost you $30 per month instead.

The mobile share plan is obviously designed to make the "workaround" in the OP too expensive to accomplish, as even a dumbphone is $30 per month on that plan.

24. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe so yes. He said the "mobile share plan". I do not have much experience with the shared plans but I do believe that is what he referred to.

25. summitRun macrumors regular

ok, you guys have taken this way too personally. The scrubbing toilets thing was not an assault on anyone's financial status or abilities. Sorry if that was offensive, I just do not see why you would possible bother yourself with this hassle. There's no better feeling than to be debt free...is all