Before you put on a case or bumper, consider that it may actually cause MORE scuffs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Action, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Action macrumors member

It might depend on the case, but I can't imagine the iPhone holding up well due to the friction between the phone and the case.

2. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

agreed. i learned it with my iPhone 4. put it in a bumper, took it off, got scratches on the metal band.
    had my phone replaced later on for a hardware issue, put it in another case, got scratches on the metal band.

considering how many cases actually lock onto the edge of the polished chamfer, scratches from cases that dont have soft lining won't surprise me at all.

ive been using my iPhone 5 naked for a week now, still looks prestine.

3. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I rather that happen then drop it on the cement.
    Just saying.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is part of the reason why I will definitely be rockin my i5 without a case.

5. CanadaEh macrumors regular

I've taken my iPhone out of my Incipio case many times. Still flawless :)

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

A bumper case scratched the crap out of my release day iphone 4 antenna band. However a replacement iphone 4 with the antenna coating (after antennagate) was never scratched by a bumper, or was my 4s.

G.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My Mophie JuicePack scuffed my 3GS, but not my 4S. I'd buy one for my 5.

8. millerhifi macrumors regular

The Mophie definitely marred my 4S as did my 4 and was horrible on the 3 series. I'm a huge Mophie fan and look forward to their iPhone 5 design but I sure wish they would line the interior with felt. It would make a huge difference.

But yes, overall I agree, I'm hesitant to use any case for the reasons of marring the band. I've never had a case that didn't and I'm very particular about my cases.

9. olliedoogin macrumors newbie

Incipio Feather by any chance???

10. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Are you guys talking about rubber/silicone/TPU cases or hard cases?

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The back of my iPhone 4 is probably worse off for having a case on it for most of its life than had it not. It has dozens of tiny dots all over it from where dirt was held between the case and the phone.

That said, I used a case mostly because the thing is so darn slippery without one, and it gives it SOME protection if it is dropped.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Was it the back or antenna of your 4 that was marred? I know the back was fine, but I don't remember how the antenna looked; nothing stood out to me. Its irrelenat to me as when the time comes my 5 will be kicked down to my girl and she immediatly puts the phone in an Otterbox.

Lining it with felt is a bad idea as that easily traps small grains of dirt which are very hard to brush out.

13. UCF Sam macrumors regular

Yep... The big problem is that stuff gets stuck between the bumper and phone. A grain of sand can cause a lot of damage when pressed up against something and moved slightly over long periods of time.

14. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

That sounds like what happens with the built in protector on the defender

15. CanadaEh macrumors regular

Yessir. Feather Series >

16. millerhifi macrumors regular

It was the antenna (band). The back was fine.
    You have a point on the felt. Just need something other than the painted plastic surface would be good though.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well you could put tape on the antenna.

I currently have tape around the dock connector on my iPad 2 so i don't worry about scratching the back while plugging it in.