Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month Apple shared a surreal new ad for the HomePod that was directed by filmmaker Spike Jonze and starred artist Tahliah Debrett Barnett, known as FKA Twigs. In the commercial, FKA Twigs arrived home from a long day at work and found a way to unwind by dancing around to Anderson .Paak playing from her HomePod, all while her apartment expanded and shape-shifted in unexpected ways.

homepod-bts-adweek.jpg
Image via Adweek

In a new seven-minute behind-the-scenes video shared today (via Adweek), director Danilo Parra explores how Jonze shot the video, how the choreography was created, and how the team got the apartment to expand and elongate. On that last point, the production designers on the commercial explain that the team used hydraulics to practically move the sets around as FKA Twigs danced in them -- down to the magazines and tables that she expands in the dream sequence -- all with "very little CGI."

In terms of CGI, VFX supervisor Janelle Croshaw points out that the biggest effect for the ad occurs when FKA Twigs dances with herself in a mirror. At one point in the video it's also revealed that the artist auditioned for Jonze's commercial using FaceTime. To check out the full short documentary on the making of "Welcome Home," visit Adweek right here.

Welcome Home was Apple's first major long-form ad for the HomePod, launching after a series of much shorter, 15-second HomePod videos.

Article Link: Behind-the-Scenes Video Details How Spike Jonze Made HomePod Ad With 'Very Little CGI'

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Great to see creativity in action. So many crappy and stupid commercials on TV these days. Now in then there some real good ones, my favorite at the moment is the Two Alfas on the ice spinning to Wicked Game.

Reactions: Rafamrqs1

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
So basically what anyone that’s seen His Work before already assumed anyway?
Awesome.
Still not buying a HomePod.

Reactions: johnmed

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Now this is an ad you can definitely tell and appreciate the amount of thought and creativity, and complexity went into this wonderful piece. This is art.

Reactions: sully54

stammix

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018
Great to see creativity in action. So many crappy and stupid commercials on TV these days. Now in then there some real good ones, my favorite at the moment is the Two Alfas on the ice spinning to Wicked Game.

I don't know if it's still on and counts as 'in the moment' (as far as I know it never aired in german tv-channels), but my favorite is the quattro2-commercial starring Candide Thovex. Audi really shines by staying in the background and not referring to any product.

creepyTowel

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2016
I love the moment in the making-of when they're doing the HomePod Siri shot at 5:50 in. The camera is a 4k Arri Alexa...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.