iPad Behold: the yellow iPad Air and the (whiter but uneven Air)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jinzen, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Jinzen macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Top: 32gb Verizon Air
    Bottom: 16gb WiFi only

Might return both. Bottom one is tolerable but still uneven.

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

I have never seen a uniform iPad display. Ever. They don't exist.

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Um, those both look 1) identical and 2) perfect to me.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Which is exactly why Apple can get away with selling iPads with screens that are neither identical nor perfect. People who think that iPad screen issues are widespread will always be outnumbered by people who think those 2 pics show perfect identical screens.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I see this being an issue if you are constantly comparing two white screens together. However in the real world, there is nothing wrong with these displays. If I look hard enough at my Nexus 4, the top middle of the display is ever so slightly brighter than the rest. Would I return it? No. Because if I did, I'd be one of the relatively small group of OCD jerks out there increasing the cost of electronics by constantly returning perfectly fine devices.

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

Both look yellower than mine, but within spec

7. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

First one I agree it looks yellow? The second one seems perfect to me

8. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I can see the first one is slightly yellow on the bottom...but the second one looks fine. This is what people are returning their iPads over? Wtf...

Can you even notice unevenness in the bottom iPad with normal usage? Just wondering.

9. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I've yet to buy mine, but that does look annoying....especially when you know it's there. The first one just looks bad, the second one looks like it could be almost bad (would have to see with the screen on). I'm also one of those picky people though, so I guess I'm a jerk for wanting to return that too hahah

10. Omega1300 macrumors member

Agree with the rest - I'm amazed If this is what people have been complaining over. I've always been happy with the Apple products I've purchased - now I see why.

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

HA....I'm beginning to think you are right.

Wonder why Apple seems to have more evenness problems than other tablets?

I will say I don't think I've ever seen a perfectly even Apple retina display on an iPad.

-Kevin

----------

I highly doubt the level of iPad returns effects the price at all. Pretty sure Apple's margins will cover any of the returns.

-Kevin

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

wow if these are defective screens feel free to give me both.

the complaints of the few here reverberate loudly over some nitpicking.

13. moxxey macrumors regular

I agree. Honestly, I don't understand expectations. All LCD panels, even on your TV, has uneven backlighting! These photos look normal.

14. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Oh yeah. Bought my iPad just to be able to stare at a blank white screen. :rolleyes:

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think the issue is more of unevenness in the screen.

If you are reading a typical webpage with black text on a white background, or in your ereader reading a book, and starting at 2/3 down the screen until the bottom it starts to tint yellow, that doesn't bother you? You find that acceptable because that's just the way things are?

-Kevin

16. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

Exactly what I was thinking! When and why in the world would you need to stare at a white screen? maybe unnless you were trying to trace something at which point it would not matter if the screen was uneven since you just needed a light box, but come on!

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

This yellow display topic should be banned on MacRumors. It's tiring all the threads from nitpickers searching desperately for problems to paint Apple in a bad light. If you're unhappy take your product back and buy something from a company who you think can deliver the perfection you crave. As far as the vast majority of us are concerned, Apple is already delivering perfection in each and every one of the products they ship to consumers.

18. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Second one seems fine to me. My ipad 3 looked similar to the second one when I first got it, however after using it for awhile the problem went away. I think it was glue issue. Of course you will have to determine whether this is acceptable for yourself or if you will return it.

19. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

20. puma1552 macrumors 601

There's nothing wrong with either of those screens and here's why:

1) The displays are at different angles (in towards each other), and as a result the bottom of the top one and the top of the bottom one look yellow, and not surprisingly the top of the top one and bottom of the bottom one look blue. That would be consistent with the inconsistent angle the displays are set in the photograph.

2) Tilt ANY screen even a few degrees and there is going to be a color gradient, this is just a fact of displays. No **** if you tilt a screen down from you one half of it will look a different color.

Guarantee you if you took the top display and tilted it up/back, the top would become yellow and the bottom would become blue. Same with the bottom one, tilt it down/towards you and the top would become blue and the bottom would become yellow.

This thread is stupid.

21. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but these pictures were doomed to be ridiculed the second they were taken and do not even closely illustrate the issues some of us have been finding. There is a thread on here where a user posted some decent photos of the problem. In real world usage for people who do actually have iPads with the problem, typically the left half of the screen will have a yellow tint. The problem will be so pronounced that even the white textbox on the Macrumors forums will look dirty yellow.

For those who legitimately have iPads with this issue, it's neither imagined nor nitpicking.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This thread does a disservice to those who have real display issues and is an example of why some people are referred to as OCD.

23. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Neither photo is shot straight on... You can tell by the lack of right angles. All panels look slightly off when viewed from that perspective. Seriously, don't get too hung up on this, have a glass of wine and enjoy your tablet.

24. DMoggo macrumors regular

Really? That is a strong statement. Perfection?!

We could just go the whole way and ban all opinions.

25. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Not all of this is addressed directly at you per se. Just didn't want multiple quotes:

No they don't. And it sucks that you've owned such bad products. Which brand?

I've gone through 4 Panasonic screens. 3 were 100% perfect. Not joking. In a dark room, with brightness at varying levels, there was zero backlight bleed. These were Panasonic ET5s with the IPS panel. Perfect. 1 of them had very very minor backlight bleed, to the point where even I could barely tell in a dark room (I am talking blackout curtains at night). To this day I am unsure if it had it.

Then I went through 3 LG units. LM6700s and LM7600s. ALL had backlight bleed in some area. Some worse than others. Readily apparent, even with an image on.

Guess why Apple screens now have problems...

If you didn't know, LG is one of the most scumbag companies I have come across. From the way they market their TruMotion using the term "Hz", to how they released a TV claiming it had a feature it never had, and adding it in via software update 6 months later (but failing wherein the feature performed miserably), to all the Apple problems (Image Retention, Yellow screens, etc.). If I have my choice, I will never buy LG again.

Looking at my TVs, and other electronic devices, none of them have yellow screens or uneven tints.

If anyone thinks this is normal, you have been deceived.

lol @ "That's within spec" comments. You have no idea what Apple's spec is. You just read that on the forum, and mimmicked it.

I will grant you this: some people have a lower visual acuity, and some people just don't care. That's fine with me and good for them, but don't deny a very real problem. Saying "there is a problem, but I don't mind" is very different from saying "There is no problem, these people are crazy."