Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Yes, probably it deserved to die a dignified death, but until yesterday my beige G3 desktop computer was chugging along.

On startup, nothing happens. There is a half second noise of perhaps the hard disc spinning, then nix.

Any helpful suggestions? Apple repair? Private repair? Just remove the hard drive and buy another? Give up?

My kids do use the computer.

Thank you.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Staying dead

Santiago, you are probably right. However it has sentimental value (I still beat myself up for selling my vintage Apple IIe, which worked).

Horrortaxi, I could not get it to gong. However, I will take your good advice and try booting from the CD. I didn't think of that! Thanks!

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
It won't get to the boot process so a CD startup is moot.

It is most likely the power supply.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Power Supply

pncc, thank you for your post. Probably you are right. I opened the cover and listened. When I hit the power key, the momentary noise that results comes from the power supply. Then zilch. It's either eBay time or eMac time.

Of probably little interest to anyone, I opened up my Mac Centris 610 (which works) to see if I could cannibalize its power supply. No go.

Maybe it's time for a Mac burial...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
If its any help, I had a similar situation on my PC. The power supply came on for about 1/2 sec and then nothing.

After 3 power supplies with same result, I found out the supply was fine and my mobo was dead.

Either way, I would suggest you pull the drive and get a good used mac here or eBay.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.