Being "Child-Free", a pollitical mess?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Linuxpro, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Linuxpro macrumors regular

I do not know why it is such a big deal in all the press. In this day and age, children are, if anything, nothing but vanity. I like having a hefty savings account, stamps in my passport, and zero debt. My wife loves expensive bags. We have our on vanity and it costs a lot less than children.

I was 21, when I went to a clinic and had a vasectomy. It was 1988. I was in Texas. They never asked if I had children, or if I was married. Thirty days later, I had my snip. About five days later, I was "back in action".

Women are OK with it. I have had no problems dating (I date career minded women). Other men ask me how I managed to make it to 50, and not have an "accident". Still others thought I was gay because I have no pictures of children in my cube. When I tell them how I did it, some are confused. I am amazed at how many American men do not even know what a vasectomy is.

Guys that say, "No way man" all have one thing in common; no money after the child support fairy takes her cut of thier monthly salary.

The family of my ex-wife (married eight years) strongly apposed our marrage. Evidently thier only daughter never told them she had her tubes tied long before we met. I guess, in thier eyes, I was to blame for the fact that they had no grandchildren. They treated me like mud under thier feet.

I moved to Singapore nearly four years ago. Nobody asks me about children here. I got marred last year (we are the same age). Almost a third of couples in Singapore plan to never have children. The trend is catching on in much of the developed world. It seems only the USA is slow to adopt the trend.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Through the years I have had many friends who chose not to have children. It is a personal decision. I've never understood why some people feel that everyone must have children.

My son (32) has already decided that he will never have children, and although my daughter wants some, at 28 she isn't moving towards that goal. I'm ok with not being a grandmother.

3. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

It is good to hear that you are suppportive of it.

Thank you!

The family of my new wife is very supportive. Then again it is pretty obvious that she is not really "mother material" just as much as I am not "father material". I think they see it!

I am my own "Child".

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People shouldn't be looked down upon for this decision whether it is to not have kids or to have them.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Can you please post links to these press reports ?

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Old news (birthrates have been sinking around here for atleast 40 years)

Relevance ? ;)

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have two kids, and I do not regret the decision. Watching a person come into being, and having some influence on how they become, is the most awe-inspiring experience of my life.

Since I am an academic, I am sometimes harshly judged by those the child-free crowd. I even get asked (rudely) 'Why did you have kids?'. To this I usually reply by asking why my interrogator(s) continue to choose living and note that suicide is as viable a solution to overpopulation as being child-free.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Whatever floats your goat .
    I want grand kids
    My kids don't want any
    Sucks for me.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Here you go

Attached Files:

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I love my kids, that I'm currently poor trying to support them doesn't matter one bit. I have zero regrets.

But if someone doesn't want any for themselves, that's cool too. Just don't judge me for being a dad.

I may not be able to relate, but I don't judge you for your non-desire for posterity.

12. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Here's a picture of some very cute kids. :D

[​IMG]

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

At the risk of being a jerk, I have held positions in the past where parents get preferential treatment. Particularly jobs that require travel. All of a sudden, because they had kids, they were suddenly immune from traveling for long periods.

14. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Are people worried about that? Pretty sure every country I have ever been to is already below replacement fertility rates except India and their population is supposed to peak in the next 60 years.

15. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

I do not see how being below replacement is a problem. What is the crime in wanting a better standard of living? Honestly we pay more taxes then parents do. We use less resources. Next time you get stuck in the queue picking up your child at school, remember that there are few child-free people stalling the queue. I only picked up a neighbors son maybe twice in my lifetime.

I honestly do not know any child-free person who is critical of parents for the sake of being critical. I only wish the reverse was true.

Most child-free people are the best uncles and aunties in the world. We look at it this way; we only have to deal with a child for a few hours, and we can drop off junior when he gets tired and cranky. He is your problem when he misbehaves. Keep in mind that child-free people have lots of hobbies that we would rather be doing.

All of us know a few people who have children that we very much wish did not. Usually it is other parents that complain about them, not child-free people. That being said, I have seen videos on YouTube where people calling themselves "child-free" whine for 15 min about kids. Every group has a few people that they wish did not call themselves one in your "click".

I will post some links later.

16. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The most cowardly seven written words.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He should have said, "little more than vanity." There's no need for absolutes.

But I can't agree with your assessment either, as I can think of far more cowardly words.

Once again, overuse of absolutes ruins an argument.

They turn what could be a good point into an absurdity.

18. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Glad to know you'd have pointed out his/her comment had I not.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Like "This is really scary. We should run."

Those are 7 words that are much more cowardly.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Wonder if he told his parents how vain they were

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Nothing is scarier than the wife telling you " we need to talk"

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think "No, I'm fine" is even worse.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Both fell for it.

Even more cowardly words ... the children are hiding in the basement, please take them and let me live.

I'm sure there's more.

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

7 cowardly words: "Zombies right behind us! I'm tripping you."

25. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

More scary when it's your girlfriend!!!