Being gay is optional in a video game (According to Nintendo)

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Tomodachi Life is an upcoming life-simulation game for the Nintendo 3DS that lets you explore a strange island where you can hang out with friends, play games, and even fall in love while playing as your Mii avatar. It's a game about building and exploring relationships — but for some players, those relationships will be limited. Tomodachi Life won't include an option for same-sex marriage when it launches in the United States next month, and despite an outcry from fans, Nintendo is sticking with that decision
If today's video game existed 70 years ago, we probably would not have the option to customize the skin color of our avatar to black.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/8/5696104/nintendo-and-tomodachi-life

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
This is crazy! Government should force them to include same sex marriages in that GAME! :rolleyes:

If the GAME does not appeal to your taste then don't play it! Go outside and run around the block.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
This is crazy! Government should force them to include same sex marriages in that GAME! :rolleyes:

If the GAME does not appeal to your taste then don't play it! Go outside and run around the block.
I don't think you understand the problem here...

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
They're not an American company and I don't think Japanese culture is quite there yet. So they're a little behind, not much you can do. I mean this is the same company who just recently discovered the internet exists.

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
They're not an American company and I don't think Japanese culture is quite there yet. So they're a little behind, not much you can do. I mean this is the same company who just recently discovered the internet exists.
Have you been to Japan? Gay men are admired by a lot of young women. Go into any book store in the last few years and gay romance comic books are all over the shelves.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
True but localization is very important, it's not a complicated thing to change.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
And we have yet another strawman.

Last I looked, people were allowed to voice their opinions, whether they be positive or negative.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
And we have yet another strawman.

Last I looked, people were allowed to voice their opinions, whether they be positive or negative.
Yup they're not asking for ban, they're asking for a change.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
Umm, no. Only when they're conservative. If liberals have opinions then they just have their panties in a bunch and should get over it.

----------

Seems to me, Nintendo is making a business decision just like HGTV.
And People are free to voice their opinions on HGTV or Nintendo. But I think we can both agree that in both cases, no one had any rights violated. Right?

----------

Have you been to Japan? Gay men are admired by a lot of young women. Go into any book store in the last few years and gay romance comic books are all over the shelves.
That doesn't say much, it just says they don't censor "gay propaganda" like Russia does. I'm not sure being admired by tween girls is the path to gaining equal rights though...

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
And People are free to voice their opinions on HGTV or Nintendo. But I think we can both agree that in both cases, no one had any rights violated. Right?
Did I say anyone had their rights violated? Maybe you should get your eyes checked as you seem to see things that aren't there.

So, perhaps I'll just spell out my thoughts on these two threads so you don't jump to any more ridiculous conclusions. Both companies, Nintendo and HGTV, have a right to make their own business decisions. No one had their rights violated in either case. And people are free to to voice their support or condemnation of said business decisions.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
That doesn't say much, it just says they don't censor "gay propaganda" like Russia does. I'm not sure being admired by tween girls is the path to gaining equal rights though...
Same-sex marriage is not legal yet but homosexuality is tolerated amongst the younger generation. But then again, Japan's population is the oldest in the world...

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Why not Thailand?
They need to fix their current laws in their justice system before even considering any progressive changes

Against that background I find it rather depressing to learn that today a Thai court sentenced Somyot Pruksakasemsuk, a magazine publisher, to 10 years in prison for the offence of lèse-majesté—insulting, or injuring, the monarchy. Earlier this month Yossawaris Chuklom, a comedian who is also an adviser to the government of Yingluck Shinawatra, was sentenced to two years in prison for the same offence.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/theworldin2013/2013/01/thai-justice

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Good.
I'm happy that Nintendo is taking a stand.

What system is this on? 3ds? Wii u?

I'll buy a copy of it to show my support.
Support for what? Lack of progressive changes?

Last edited by a moderator:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
Good.
A stand for what? Your bigoted agenda? You must feel so disenfranchised here in the US....

The fact you feel the need to support a cause to stop people from being true to themselves really says a lot about you people. I guess you feel special because you feel that you and nintendo see eye to eye and are on the same bigoted page.

Read this story and then honestly tell me you don't think the couple in question with two young kids in legal limbo should be legally married.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Good.

What system is this on? 3ds? Wii u?

I'll buy a copy of it to show my support.
Well they could use all the help they can get, nobody else is buying Nintendo products anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
*UPDATE*

After a horribly botched explanation of why gay characters couldn't marry in simulation game Tomodachi Life, Nintendo has issued an apology. "We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life," says a statement on the company website. Unfortunately for players, it's not going back on its previous decision, saying that "such a significant development change can't be accomplished with a post-ship patch." But it's promised to take fan criticism to heart. "We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone," the company says. "We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a gameplay experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players."
Likewise, its argument that new marriage options are too difficult to add with a patch seems questionable, especially because it's already had to patch out same-sex marriage in the Japanese version of the game
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/9/5700636/nintendo-apologizes-for-leaving-same-sex-marriage-out-of-tomodachi

Very lame