Being poor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TSE, Feb 8, 2016.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Being poor sucks.

Eating steamed rice and meat for 90% from a generic brand rice steamer for most of your meals.

Having to skip meals just so you can work on your school assignment instead of putting more hours in at work.

Not being able to go out with friends because you just can't afford it.

Walking everywhere to save gas money, which is nice sometimes, except for in the winter.

Going to a grocery store, crossing your fingers that you did your math right and you BARELY have enough money to buy food.

All of this stuff really makes me appreciate life more and what my parents did for me. I'm still thankful cause I am about to graduate college with a degree I love (industrial design) and have worked my ass off to become this talented. Sometimes it's tough though.

Anyone got any stories about being poor and making your way up the ladder?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to poop on your parade of poop, but you still have to earn that first paycheck out of college.

3. Scepticalscribe, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How, um,…….utterly inspirational. And uplifting.

Dear God. Must you waste your time to write a post that seeks to rain so comprehensively on someone else's parade?

Me, I'd prefer to give the guy (or gal) an umbrella, or - at the very least - a pat on the back.

To @TSE, the OP: Well done. The paycheck will come in due course and you will have appreciate it all the more knowing that you have earned it, thorough hard work, and ambition, and tenacity, and the support of your parents.

I will express the hope that you may remember what it felt like to be without, and that it doesn't colour your outlook on the world to such an extent that you learn to despise them, and feel contempt for them, and develop that sense of bottomless entitlement that mars the perspective of some who dwell in the various elites of life.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My point is just because he graduated college doesn't mean he will start making money. He still has to land a job first. And as we have seen the past few years a degree doesn't always mean instant success.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough. Point taken.

6. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

I hit a low point during my last year in college. At one point my counsellor took me to an ATM to withdraw cash to give me some money to live on. I had to choose between buying cat food for my cat or food for me; I bought dry cat food and we shared it.

My first job came with an annual salary of around a tenth of what I earn now. A year later I doubled my income. The next year I doubled it again.

It gets better. Hold on in there. You sound like a decent guy/girl. You'll be fine. Nothing sets you up like education.

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It's worth it. All those hours put into studying and ensuring you get the end result you deserve pays off. The pull of extra hours at work while studying is always tempting, but it is better to do without where you can if it means more time can be spent on what matters.

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Congrats on getting your degree. Got some examples of your industrial design chops that we can admire?

9. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm working on my site and it should be up very soon, by end of March when I will be applying to jobs.

Thanks for the support guys... I know in the back of my head all this is worth it, but sometimes I just need to vent and maybe get inspired by others that have had it worse than I have and still succeeded.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

Being poor does suck, but most of the problems in the OP are pretty much the definition of first world problems. Not poverty.

Congrats on the degree though.

11. thewap macrumors 6502a

thewap

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee.

Congrats on your degree !(grasshopper) .

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

One can survive on potatoes, eggs and milk for months, and rice with ketchup for weeks. Don't ask...

The thing is, I knew it would get better. I cannot imagine living like that knowing that things won't.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Being poor sucks. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it's damn hard to keep happiness without money. This is why I don't understand those that settle.

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

Being poor is a personal choice whether it's laziness, ignorance (majority), or not caring.

Getting a job during college is simple. But you have to network and be proactive.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

Please explain?

There are millions of people around the world (if not billions) who work their fingers to the bone, for pennies. I guess they must choose that life, eh?

16. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

“...the priests of all these cults, the singers, shouters, prayers and exhorters of Bootstrap-lifting have as their distinguishing characteristic that they do very little lifting at their own bootstraps, and less at any other man's. Now and then you may see one bend and give a delicate tug, of a purely symbolical character: as when the Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Bootstrap-lifters comes once a year to wash the feet of the poor; or when the Sunday-school Superintendent of the Baptist Bootstrap-lifters shakes the hand of one of his Colorado mine-slaves. But for the most part the priests and preachers of Bootstrap-lifting walk haughtily erect, many of them being so swollen with prosperity that they could not reach their bootstraps if they wanted to. Their role in life is to exhort other men to more vigorous efforts at self-elevation, that the agents of the Wholesale Pickpockets' Association may ply their immemorial role with less chance of interference.”
    Upton Sinclair, The Profits of Religion

17. Huntn, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I think the critique leveled was not that your message was inaccurate, but suggested you should be more positive in your method of handing out advice. :)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2016 ---
    Ah, the simple view. Are you a Rebublican, Teaparty, or Liberterian? :)

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, I remember those days.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Just the fact you had to explain your first comment says alot about this forum.

Poor? Going to school, having to walk everywhere, eating rice and meat and yet finding time to post on a forum doesn't exactly scream poor to me.

It screams "poor me"

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Canned cat food taste a lot better, but when times are tough you have to go for dry.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Poor does not necessarily equal poverty.

I grew up poor. Five siblings sharing a single bed. Lots of fun for us because the youngest being 4 at the time would wet the bed 2-3 times a week. I wasn't until my teenage years did I get a room of my own with furniture!:cool: A desk, a mattress and a bucket.o_O The bucket was used only as a chair, because we could afford indoor plumbing. I guess I didn't have it so bad.:p

After I graduated and moved off on my own, I lived paycheck to paycheck for about a year. Most of my furniture consisted of the Spool*. Every guy I knew had a spool table in their first single's apartment. I had a spool tables, spool bookshelves, spool entertainment center, the whole nine yards.:D

*For the youn'un' who have no idea what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Yes. And a bookcase from wooden boards in between short lengths of chimney flue. And a record collection in soda crates. Essentially way ahead of the curve on reuse and less landfill.

23. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

OP, good for you for being resourceful, controlling the spending habits and finishing school, but you are not poor.
    You are far from being poor.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

25. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

OP, I can sympathize with your stories during college too. I remember living in an apartment in crappy neighborhood where my door was locking with a screw, a rotisserie chicken from the super market for $3 and microwavable rice got me going for few days of meals. I even filled my gas tank one gallon at a time and sometimes I was few pennies short....That's just bachelor

I stayed with my parents for my master's degree and barely left the house as I couldn't financially afford to. It took years before I found a full time job and can finally give up delivering pizza for $5/hr. with an MBA. Real humiliation hit rock bottom when one of the managers/owner asked if I wanted to take a pizza home and I said yes only for the other partner to see it and call me out in front of people about paying for it. I had to pay couple hours worth of wage for that pizza not to lose my dignity...

It's a great feeling when your first few pay checks come in and you're able to treat yourself and significant others, just never forget to give back to people you run into in your life with the same struggle!