Being stalked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mamaboo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Mamaboo macrumors newbie

I seriously need some advice. I found an old iPhone and my ex brought it to a few places to try n jailbreak it so I could use for my tmobile acct. A few places said they couldn't do it, one place said they could. Long story short, one month later, I'm using the phone w AT&T. The other night I was out w friends and my ex showed up. He called me out on my whereabouts for a few outings. He told me he did it thru the "find my iPhone" app, however I don't believe him. I brought my Phone to an AT&T store and the guys there looked thru my phone n said there was no way of telling if a spyware was installed and advised me to turn off my location settings when I'm out. But I'm not certain this was the way he was tracking me. Is there any way of knowing if there's a spyware or tracking device on my phone?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He likely did use Find my iPhone. Change your Apple ID password and make sure there is only your iCloud account on the device. If there are any others that are not your own, remove them.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You found a phone, but, instead of trying to find it's rightful owner or turning it into a carrier or the police, you decided to keep it for yourself.

Good news. You're in possession of stolen property and deserve whatever you get.

4. napo1900 macrumors newbie

That's right!!!!!! Get it!!!

5. cynics macrumors G3

Why do you not believe he used find my iPhone? Change your apple id. Also look for "find my friends" and disable/uninstall it.

Aside from that you can turn location services off or restore the iPhone from new.

6. 184550 Guest

See you on the way down. ;)

7. wwwwww macrumors newbie

So finding a lost phone makes means u deserve to be stalked?!?

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

you see the irony though. someone who didnt do the right thing by keeping a lost phone complains about how his ex BF tampered with it.

not sure if its deserving of being stalked but it sounds to me like they deserve each other.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Restore your phone, that will wipe out any potential spy apps on the phone. Change your ID as others have suggested and that will get rid of find my i app issues.

10. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Find my iPhone is pretty accurate. He might have access to the apple account and therefore, is able to track your location using the apps. Suggestion, turn off find my iPhone or make a new account.

However, as someone who has had his 4S misplaced (stolen), I'm sorry to say that it's a ****** thing to do. I just left the phone not less than 10 mins and the person already shut it off and ignore any of my messages. I was able to track it with find my iPhone, but it was of no use. I can only see where it's roughly located, but can't get to it. I got it replaced, but still really pissed about it.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Does not need spyware.

But, as said, why do you have a found phone? did you try to find the owner?

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

When you make no attempt at finding it's proper owner and the person stalking you is using said phone to do so? Yes. If they had turned in the phone, this wouldn't be a problem.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

One option is to return it to a store of whatever carrier it's registered with.

Walk out knowing your stalking issues are over.

Why go through all that you have, plus prolonging it getting all these different opinions. I'd think your time is worth more to you.

14. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

OP isn't being stalked by the iPhone's owner. Her (I'm assuming OP is a female) ex-bf is the one stalking her.

But point is, yes, OP should have done the right thing.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Just to be clear, OP wasn't clear if the "found" iPhone was HER old phone she found or someone else's. Waiting to see results.

Someone pass the popcorn? :D

16. taedouni macrumors 65816

Finding an iPhone is not like finding $100 on the ground. It's a freaken phone. It's someone's property. If someone's car keys fell on the floor right by their car in a parking lot and you took them and took the car it would be considered theft. There is no difference in taking someone's car or phone (there's just a price difference), at the end of the day the phone belonged to someone.

If you find money on the floor it is property of the US government. So if you find it on the floor, technically speaking you don't have to ask people if it is their money since it is not their property.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

yer gonna get back together with billy bob anyhow so what's the big whoop? so what if he knows you were shoppin at the Try N' Save with that guy who runs the ferris wheel?

18. Mamaboo thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont Jump to conclusions

I love how everyone assumes it wasnt an old phone of mine or whether or not I did attempt to find the owner...but thanks for taking my situation lightly and offering nothing but criticisms and harmful wishes. Yes, I found the phone, yes owner reached out to me, and b/c he wanted a 4S he said he'd sell it to me for $149 bc "supposedly" thats what apple would have charged him. If you must know the logistics, we texted back and forth. Happens he lived in my neighborhood but we still did it through paypal so I had some type of record of purchase, I may be a woman, but I try my best to do things the "right" way...not sure what all the judging is about...you people need to take a chill pill, for real.

Thanks to all the others for being concise with your responses! I'm already on it :p

19. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I don't even see how the "found iPhone" was even relevant to the stalking story anyway. Shouldn't have even mentioned it.

20. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

nerd rage going on in here...i'll skip this thread and head elsewhere.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sorry, but your original post started out with "I found an old iPhone and my ex brought it to a few places to try n jailbreak it".

What did finding a phone have to do with anything? You sort of set people up for the responses.

Hopefully by now you have set up your OWN account so he can no longer track you.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Relax. Its the internet. If you take any of this seriously, I suggest a vacation away from any part of it...without your smart phone.

Secondly, if he's following you thru Find my iPhone then all you should have to do is change your iTunes password (apple id password). This will prevent him from logging into your account and finding you.

23. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

:eek: You knew no back story and just revealed yourself as being as odd as your avatar.

Good luck getting rid of you creepy boyfriend. Hopefully nothing escalates. Back in the old days stalkers had to ask around or hide-out. Technology makes being creepy even easier I guess.

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You're not being "stalked".

The phone's rightful owner is trying to find his property.

25. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No extra back story was needed.

The OP stated that they found the phone and attempted to get it unlocked so they could use it for themselves. There was NO mention of them ever looking for it's rightful owner and, even after more back story was revealed, it was the owner who reached out to them... but that story makes no sense either. Why would they sell the phone for $150 when they simply could have demanded it's return and sold it for much more?

Either way, they didn't try to return it.

Not to mention, if the OP didn't want anyone to jump to conclusions, they they either shouldn't have mentioned the 'finding' it part, or actually finish that story by saying they found it, got in touch with it's owner and purchased it.

As for the avatar, it's a snippet of one of my animations... yes, it's odd and the animation gets a whole lot odder.