Belief Census

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Nov 27, 2010.

?

Name Your God

Poll closed Mar 27, 2011.
  1. One Supreme God, After Life Yes, Judgement Yes

21 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. One Supreme God, After Life Yes, Judgement maybe

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. God is unknowable, After Life Yes, Judgement Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. God is unknowable, After Life Maybe, Judgement Maybe

19 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. No God, After Life No, Judgement No

61 vote(s)
    48.8%
  6. No God, After Life maybe, Judgement No

9 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. No God, After Life maybe, Judgement Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. More Than One God, After Life Yes, Judgement Yes

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. More Than One God, After Life maybe, Judgement maybe

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. To Confused

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Huntn, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Belief Census- Just wondering what the make up of forum participants is. Unknowable God does not mean there is no God, just that we don't know about any God that exists and one may not exist.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A well crafted poll. Kudos. :cool:

I know this is a closed poll, but I am firmly (I think ;)) in the God is unknowable, After Life Maybe, Judgement Maybe ranks.

If there is a God, I really don't think He gives a ***** about us little ants on the third planet from our Sun.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My definition isn't any of those choices.

And no, I'm not trying to be difficult.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thank you. I really did not think I'd get any multiple-God responses, but added them anyway. I'd agree it is by no means certain that if there is a head dude or celestial committee that they are involved in micromanaging what happens on Earth.

Not looking to start an Agnostic/Atheist debate among our readers, but I've never understood how Atheists can be sure there is no God. I mean it is one thing to say, there is no evidence of God, therefore I don't believe in God, but it is another to proclaim, "there is NO God" if you see the distinction. :)

In that case you should say what your choice would be if you feel like it. :D

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Put in a Problem Report with vB. :rolleyes:

Having enough choices for everyone here might prove problematic. :)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

God doesn't exist. Religion was made up by a few smart people who wanted to control all of the sheep. It worked pretty ****ing good. :cool:

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We really won't know if there is an afterlife until after we are gone. You can say yet God exists or no he doesn't but how do you prove it either way. If people want to believe it exists fine, we won't know until the end.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, most certainly, but do you not have cause to wonder about it all??

Not trying to start anything, just an observation.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No God, No judgement, maybe an afterlife.
    The way I concoct an afterlife without a God:
    When we dream, it mostly happens very quickly before we wake up, so I figure that when we die our brain might conduct an illusion of an afterlife before it goes out forever, and since it will never again wake up, I figure that you might spend a time in a very long (possibly infinite) dream. With the amounts of DMT ( a hallucinogenic hormone) that get secreted, I don't think that this is too much out of the question.
    A lot of people that die have visions of heaven or hell for this reason, because they think that that is where they are going so much that their mind records it in a dream-like state.

11. Huntn, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

One of the problems of this poll is the definition of God. I know a few of you consider God to be one sentient divine, all powerful being. But I don't see it so simple and finite as to say 1 all powerful. I mean the force described as God, who decided it was just one and a "he"? Why is that more viable than multiple Gods? How about a force we can't possibly understand if it exists at all. It could be a celestial committee. And why designate a sex? That is only needed for animals who need the opposite sex to procreate. Regarding the origin of God, don't some of you find that very telling? :)

Thumbs up.

The problem is determining what is true from what is imagined.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I do think there is a spirit world afterlife of some kind. I am not going to go into details or try to get other people to believe what I believe I saw but I do think there is a moment in time when a person passes that they can make contact.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm talking more about creationists denying Evolution and other sciences. I think that any God that is omnipotent has to be imagined, because how could there be such a being without it leaving a single trace of evidence?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Creationists will take the bible out of context and take what stories might have happened and also throw out todays known facts. For all we know Jesus did preform miracles and they were documented but that doesn't mean that the earth is 6000 years old. God could have created the heavens and earth 50 billion years ago, we just don't know. We still don't know why the big bang happened just that it did.

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Are you defending Yahweh, or just playing Devil's advocate?
    If God were real, then why would he create life in the one way that would show that we wouldn't need him?
    Jesus' life as recorded by the Gospels is almost completely different in each version. It would seam that each of the writers of those books had different Old Testament prophecies in mind that Jesus should fulfill. The genealogy of Jesus is not even agreed to by any of the Gospel writers.
    Also, to avoid confusion, I think that you should use a god, and not God. Making them a singular entity presupposes that the entity is Yahweh, and not Zeus or Wotan.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's the whole point, don't you see? Only a truly omnipotent deity would be able to leave no evidence. There is no evidence, therefore god is omnipotent.

That was easy.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How do we know that we don't need him. I guess you could think of God as a guide to help your through life. He doesn't stand out but when you need him he is there. Maybe God is more a piece of mind rather than an actual being.

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Wow! My Atheism looks really stupid now. I think I need to find this god immediately. To which of the thousands of gods should I look first?(I realize that that was sarcasm) :rolleyes:

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't forget the silver bullet, Jesus.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I didn't say that we didn't need God. I meant that if Evolution is true, and so is the god hypothesis, then why did the creator use the only way that didn't need a god to accomplish.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Wow, the Atheists are running away with this poll. :D (I'm Agnostic).

I have not seen enough of your writings to know- tongue-in-cheek or serious? How about there is no evidence because there is no god? Could that be an option?

I want there to be one. It would make me very happy. For now, I'm waiting to see what happens. :)

You could be absolutely right or maybe we don't have the ability to detect the evidence. If there is a God, a great, possibly intelligent force, I don't feel it is like major religions describe it to be. The human concept is a notion with very primitive origins, when humans thought everything bad that happened to them was based on a supreme being who they pissed off, or who wanted something from them. Can't prove it, but I suspect this is ALL wrong. :)

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it possible that God started the ball rolling and let nature take its course. Let everything that happened after the fact evolve history.

Or did God know the whole story beginning to end. They say eventually the universe will die out.

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

We could detect the evidence. The god of the Bible has these attributes:
    An all consuming passion for his own glory
    Omnipotence
    Omnipresence
    Now, if all of these things are true about Yahweh, then why does he allow people of other nations not to know him in favor of Allah or Krishna?
    From this you can see that it is one of these two things:
    The Bible does not describe its god correctly(then why should it be followed at all)
    The god of the Bible doesn't exist.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did anyone in the bible see God, Jesus was the son of God but was he ever identified.

25. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Again, why would God use Evolution if he could just magic up beings into existence? Evolution is the one way that life could originate without a creator. If the creator wants people to worship him, then why was he so lazy that he created the universe in the one way that can make logical people not believe in him?