Believe in conspiracies? You'd make Machiavelli proud

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, May 6, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Belief in Conspiracies Linked to Machiavellian Mindset

It's a rather timely study. So, we know that those who crow "conspiracy" the loudest are probably conspiring at that very moment.

2. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A problem I have with this conspiracy stuff is, in the first place, a conspiracy is supposedly a secret deal. Okay, the one-world crowd has been pretty open about what they want, going back at least to Wendell Willkie, if not before.

Next is the "They want to destroy us!" nonsense about the Bilderberg bunch et al. Duh? Aren't those folks rich from selling into the US market (among others, but we're the largest)? Why wreck the economy of those who provide your profits?

Same for the Communist thing. Maybe one's party membership might be kept secret, but the aims and desires were quite open.

Hard for me to get into the "they" thing.

As far as Machiavelli and "The Prince", I just see it as a quite rational and logical instruction book: "If you want to get and to keep political power, this is the amoral way to do it."

Nah, from wandering and browsing around the web, it looks like to me that the conspiracists are mostly folks who don't have a handle on how political and economic systems work in the real world. It's either "magic" or "they", and these poor babies opt for "they".

A variant on the theme is often seen here in this forum, where complex and lengthy sequences and pathways of decisions and events come together after some decades before an effect becomes obvious: Blame it on "them!", whether Republican or Democrat, of the most recent administration.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I used to be big into conspiracies in college, but now I think 99.9% of them are naturally a crock.

I liked X-Files then, but I like the X-Files even more, now! Weird.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

The death of Bin Laden has made me second guess a lot of what I've heard over the last few years regarding CT's. The official story of his death is far more believable than the ridiculous stuff I have been hearing. I still believe that the govt knew about the attacks on the WTC and did nothing about it. I don't believe they intentionally destroyed the towers or that they trained the 9/11 hijackers themselves.

The stuff going on with Mansanto is scaring the crap out me. I have been trying to ignore a lot of stuff because it is so time consuming and usually leads to nowhere.