Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Belkin iPod Mic and Media Reader FAQs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Belkin has posted Frequently Asked Question pages for their new Voice Recorder and Media Reader for the 3rd Generation iPods.

The Voice Recorder FAQ provides recording specifications for the iPod Accessory:

Monaural (mono), 16-bit audio at 8KHz

According to the documents, the Mic provides no line-in, and is intended and tuned to make voice recordings.

The Media Reader FAQ explains that the Media Reader will not write files to memory cards, is powered by 4 AAA batteries, and that users are unable to view the photos on their iPod.

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
I don't know what everyone else thought, but I imagined the card reader to be a small attachment to the ipod, not a external drive with a cord.

I also thought these accessories would be made by Apple. Shows how much I know.

I'm sure it won't take long to make a recording attachment that's stereo and has line in.

Comment

walkingmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2003
Greater Cincinnati
AHH MAN.... this just takes all the wind out of my sails for the potential of the current recording abilities of the iPod. Maybe I should not have had my hopes this high.... maybe in future generations Apple can see that a recording rate of 44 stereo would be better recieved the 8 mono.

This puts me back to the reasons I had before for getting an iPod, while not bad ones by any means (I still love the product and plan to get one), just was hoping that a high quality recording feature was available.

Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Steve said: voice recording is the most requested feature?
mmmmmmmmm
I know recording was a requested feature. But not some lame mic tuned for voice. bah
Now I still have to use my MD.

Comment

walkingmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2003
Greater Cincinnati
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
mmmmmmmmm
I know recording was a requested feature. But not some lame mic tuned for voice. bah

FINALLY..... someone who feels my pain!

Comment

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Chris Breen just posted this to the Macworld.com message boards:

I asked the Apple folks about this at the SF event on Thursday.

Currently you can't plug another audio device into the iPod and expect it to work. The Belkin mic works because it taps into something in the iPod's firmware (Apple says it will freely license the code for doing this but you must obtain this code from Apple to create a recording device). The device must also plug into the Remote port on the top of the iPod as well as the headphone jack.

According to the FAQ on Belkin's site, the device records 16-bit mono at 8kHz. But during the presentation I swear the slide said 32kHz. I later asked about resolution and the Apple rep confirmed that it was 32kHz. We'll see.
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbt...=170483&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by walkingmac

:) I feel it haha

When the first 5 gig ipod came out (I was in Palo Alto at the time), I was thinking immediately......what if this thing could record also....
and finally........after years of waiting it's going to happen!
I bet were going to have a good quality mic in less than 2 months.
Even if I have to make it myself!!!! grrrr

ok im off rehearsing with my band.

now where is that other mic......

Comment

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by walkingmac

I think this is a poor accessory. Good if you just want a dictaphone but not much chop if you want to collect audio for mixing, broadcasting etc.

No line in!?, get real.

I think the MD is still more purpose built for proper recording.

so I might plan to buy one of these MiniDiscs -- any suggestions of a good model (or what features I should be looking for)?

I really know nothing about them?

Also, what is a good sound editing app, so i could tweak an interview, say, for broadcast on radio.

Cheers in advance, and I love this damn forum!

Comment

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
mmmmmmmmm

It's not meant for bootlegging at concerts, guys! It's meant for recording lectures, meetings, and notes to self.

Comment

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
It's not meant for bootlegging at concerts, guys! It's meant for recording lectures, meetings, and notes to self.

What is the range of the mike? Can you really record a lecture, or, as I imagine, it's good for about 2 feet. So it really is notes to self.

edit-- And I found the answer from the faq:D

"The voice recorder’s microphone is intended to record voice up to 24” from the speaker, and to avoid ambient noise outside of this range._ While in certain environments other uses may be possible, this is not the primary intention for this specific product."

Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001

If I want to bootleg concerts there are tons of ways to do that.

I want a mic to record my own band.
Who the hell wants to record lectures only.......
Is it really that difficult to make a stereo qood quality mic that fits on an ipod?

it's just so annoying that I have to carry around 2 music players around.

Comment

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
If I want to bootleg concerts there are tons of ways to do that.

I want a mic to record my own band.

And you want it to be an iPod accessory?

I want a hair comb, but I don't want it built into my toothbrush.

Who the hell wants to record lectures only.......

Students. I thought that was obvious.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by weev
"The voice recorder’s microphone is intended to record voice up to 24” from the speaker, and to avoid ambient noise outside of this range._ While in certain environments other uses may be possible, this is not the primary intention for this specific product."

So, you can't use it to record ambient audio, you can't use it to record a lecture, there's only so much I really care to talk to myself... What's the point?

The more I hear about either of these "hot accessories", the less impressed I am... Both concepts had so much potential, and both implementations fell so flat...

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
And you want it to be an iPod accessory?

I want a hair comb, but I don't want it built into my toothbrush.

Yeah, having a good, portable, digital recorder would be perfect for some of the pet projects I have in mind. Being able to record to a hard drive would be a great way to do it. No sense carrying redundant hardware around.

Most people wouldn't want a hair comb and toothbrush attached because of hygiene concerns-- there's nothing about adding a record function that would detract from the iPods function, or vice versa.

Building the mic into the unit might, but a plug in accessory certainly would not.

Comment

Irafas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
I was going to buy a new iPod for the recording function (still got a 2G one) but if it can't record lectures then it's no use to me. Anyone tried it out yet?

Comment

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by Analog Kid
Yeah, having a good, portable, digital recorder would be perfect for some of the pet projects I have in mind. Being able to record to a hard drive would be a great way to do it. No sense carrying redundant hardware around.

Most people wouldn't want a hair comb and toothbrush attached because of hygiene concerns-- there's nothing about adding a record function that would detract from the iPods function, or vice versa.

Building the mic into the unit might, but a plug in accessory certainly would not.

It just struck me as an odd use of the iPod, as a hi-fidelity mic for recording your own band. I really don't see the point, but I'm not well-versed in this stuff either.

Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Analog Kid

Couldn't have said it better.
That part about 24" from the speaker made me laugh very hard.
I've had had lectures in churches over 50 meters long. So I guess that belkin thingy isn't going to cut it.

Comment

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I am very disappointed by that feature. I think I will stick to my MD recorder - and it does CD-quality recordings... not too long, but at least long enough.

Comment

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by Stike
I am very disappointed by that feature. I think I will stick to my MD recorder - and it does CD-quality recordings... not too long, but at least long enough.

The audio gets compressed the moment it goes into the MD. It's not CD quality, but is certainly better than the spec given out by Belkin.
Let's hope more and more third party products get released for the iPod. What's the reason right now for the lack of companies building things to go with iPods? Do apple charge a rediculous amount of money/percentage?

Comment

airbag

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
It just struck me as an odd use of the iPod, as a hi-fidelity mic for recording your own band. I really don't see the point, but I'm not well-versed in this stuff either.

On the contrary ... recording only voices is an odd use of the iPod, in my view. Don't forget the iPod was built for MUSIC!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.