Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock HD - Can I still charge MBP 13 with it's USB-C adaptor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SSD-GUY, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I prefer using Apple's own Charging adapter to charge my MacBook Pro 13 nTB, so thefore, if I plug that in first, and then plug in the cable coming from the Belkin dock, will the MacBook technically be charged by Apple's power adapter? Also, is there a way to confirm this somewhere within the settings (i.e. it categorically states that the MBP is receiving power from the adapter?)

Thanks!

2. chrfr macrumors 604

Just curious: why do you care which charger the computer uses?

3. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've heard that it's better to use the MacBook's own charger rather then a 3rd party charger. If this is the case, I don't want to damage my battery.

4. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. chrfr macrumors 604

The Belkin charging is of no worry. Just use that. I'd be concerned about using an off-brand charger, but not something that Apple itself sells and advertises as suitable for charging its computers.

6. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I appreciate your reply, however if someone could please answer the question, it would give me some peace of mind.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I also prefer to use what Apple gave me. Belkin is surprised to be outstanding but I have never found a need to use anything but Apple chargers on my Apple devices.

8. unglued macrumors 6502

You can check System Information power status and see how it’s charging. Personally, I wouldn’t use the dock and charger at the same time but maybe Apple designed it to function safely for situations like this.