Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock HD - Can I still charge MBP 13 with it's USB-C adaptor?

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Hi all,

I prefer using Apple's own Charging adapter to charge my MacBook Pro 13 nTB, so thefore, if I plug that in first, and then plug in the cable coming from the Belkin dock, will the MacBook technically be charged by Apple's power adapter? Also, is there a way to confirm this somewhere within the settings (i.e. it categorically states that the MBP is receiving power from the adapter?)

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all,

I prefer using Apple's own Charging adapter to charge my MacBook Pro 13 nTB, so thefore, if I plug that in first, and then plug in the cable coming from the Belkin dock, will the MacBook technically be charged by Apple's power adapter? Also, is there a way to confirm this somewhere within the settings (i.e. it categorically states that the MBP is receiving power from the adapter?)

Thanks!
Just curious: why do you care which charger the computer uses?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
The Belkin charging is of no worry. Just use that. I'd be concerned about using an off-brand charger, but not something that Apple itself sells and advertises as suitable for charging its computers.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
The Belkin charging is of no worry. Just use that. I'd be concerned about using an off-brand charger, but not something that Apple itself sells and advertises as suitable for charging its computers.
Thanks, I appreciate your reply, however if someone could please answer the question, it would give me some peace of mind.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Also, is there a way to confirm this somewhere within the settings (i.e. it categorically states that the MBP is receiving power from the adapter?)
You can check System Information power status and see how it’s charging. Personally, I wouldn’t use the dock and charger at the same time but maybe Apple designed it to function safely for situations like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.