Ben Carson's Map of the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Nov 18, 2015.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[​IMG]
    As a long time graphic designer, this makes no sense. While I understand that **** happens during the course of a campaign, a map isn't something one disassembles and reconfigures like a jigsaw puzzle. Mislabelling I get. But moving around states? I honestly don't see how that happens.

So rather than bash Carson over this, what I'm really curious about is how this could have happened on the software/designer end.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So basically I can put Pangaea back together, and I can get a job at a POTUS campaign! ;)

BL.

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

My guess is that someone took a picture of a child's jigsaw puzzle map which needed some help?

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Probably just subtracting the 7 extra states Obama added.

5. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

The following (from the comment section of my link) makes more sense to me.
    IMO, this isn't a graphic design screw-up. It has to be deliberate.

I can understand bad proofreading. That happens all the time. But I can't understand vector (or even worse pixel-based) art moving that way by accident.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

It’s probably part and parcel of today’s schooling.

One in which a math answer can be wrong, but marked with a passing grade, so long as you showed initiative in trying to get it right.

7. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Just to mention something from my past...

In my high school AP Calculus class, it was not uncommon to receive partial credit for even a wrong answer if your demonstration of methodology to arrive at the result was correct, but a simple arithmetic error brought about your downfall.

And that was back in 1963-64.

Luckily, I was never employed by NASA. :(

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Clearly we need to invade New England so our politicians can learn the geography of the region.:p Let's bring "democracy" to them Yankees.;):D

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It'd be crazy to do anything else as otherwise you can't separate between "has no idea how to answer the question" and "made a simple arithmetic error".

If you want to criticise a subject for being too soft on people try the arts where basically everyone gets about the same grade - whereas in maths I got between 20% and 95% on different modules.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What would be the point if it was deliberate?

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Too further discredit Carson's campaign. To make them appear amateurish and unfit for the office.

12. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Probably not necessary. I think it was already pretty apparent without a screwed up geography lesson.

13. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay. But again, as a graphic designer, you can't make a "mistake" like that. It would be one thing if one or more states were offline. But these have been purposefully reassembled. You'd either have to be the most incompetent designer in the world, or more likely someone is playing some political dirty tricks ... which I find very intriguing.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

As do I. Since nobody uses maps that they draw themselves, this is highly suspect and appears to be done to embarrass the candidate. Could get interesting.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably is, unless when they were coloring in the states they were doing them individually and putting them back together, but I think someone trying to sabotage his campaign (not that he needs any help to show that he isn't fit for office) makes the most sense.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

I place the fault with continental drift.

17. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Do you think the Carson campaign is smart (devious) enough to deliberately do this just to elicit a suspicion such as yours?

18. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Not really. I'm no more sympathetic to his campaign than I was before.

I'm just not buying that this was a graphic screw-up.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I understand what you're saying and why you're saying it, but in more than a few 3D design projects I have seen small (grouped) objects get accidentally "bumped" (moved to incorrect x,y,z coordinates) at some point during the design process, with no one noticing until an end user pointed it out after the product was distributed, at which point everyone involved in the design looked at each other and asked "How did we miss something so obvious?"

20. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I can completely understand something being bumped ... misaligned ... rotated.

But this is much more than that.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's just one group of states that has been moved northeast of where they should be. If these states were joined together as a group, then it just takes one random mouse click to accidentally move them from their correct location...

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

23. citizenzen, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I just spend some time comparing the two images in Photoshop. And you know what? You're right that this could have been the result of just one shift. A single move up and to the right puts Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island into the position seen on the Carson map.

Now that doesn't account for merging Vermont and Connecticut, or reshaping Rhode Island (possibly due to compression), but it does lend credence to the possibility that this could have been an error.

Thanks for pushing me to look a little more closely.

carsonMap.gif

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

The map is a byproduct of global warming. Or global cooling. Or... Climate change ... Or something.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn