Ben & Jerry's Bans 'Same-Flavor Scoops' in Australian Same-Sex Marriage Push

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BeeGood, May 25, 2017.

1. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...ame-flavor-scoops-australian-same-sex-n764791

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Seems a little silly... and counter intuitive. It seems like if you're promoting gay marriage you would want people to get two scoops of the same flavor, that makes more sense metaphorically... but I digress.

If you read the article though, it says the program is mostly symbolic. I'm sure the employee will not start a fight and refuse service to someone wanting two scoops of chunky monkey.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Reminds me of the time my high school tried to raise money for Hunger Relief in Africa by hosting a pizza party.

I think a better idea would be to have a promotion encouraging people to get two scoops of the same flavor, like you get two scoops for the price of one if they are the same flavor. Or maybe, if you buy two scoops of the same flavor, they donate half the price of two scoops to an LGBTQ cause.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I had an Australian roomate once. She made it sound like Australia lives by pretty conservative values, no same sex marriage, stringent anti-immigration, racism towards the natives, etc.

At lease Aussies have amazing accents.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The terms bogan and yobo are frequently used there. In the rural parts, you find some people who really project hatred of US policy onto US citizens. There are things like that. At the same time bathrooms in urban areas often have a receptacle for needle disposal in areas with a lot of drug users (for the safety of others). In many parts of Australia, prostitution is legal through licensed brothels. Their immigration laws are quite strict. It's easier if you will be under 30 at the time you apply. There are some exceptions if you have an in demand skill, but their population tends to become irritated by anything similar to their equivalent of H1Bs in the US.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

omg. Dude, just sell your ice cream. Sell as much as you can ... any way your customer wants it.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's an ice cream shop marketing campaign; if you're seeking depth, look elsewhere.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm confused...not by you, by Ben And Jerry's objection.

10. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well.... I totally get the above proposals to discount or donate if a customer orders 2 scoops of the same flavor.

But....

If they really wanted to actually get people to take notice.... they'd require you to be lesbian, bisexual, or gay to purchase more than one flavor (or any combination you liked).

Proof could be in the form of requiring you to be affectionate with someone of the same gender. Or... bringing in your spouse, documents, or even symbolic appearance / clothing being worn.

That way, if you are "straight" you could only order 2 scoops of a single flavor. That would do more to push their point.

Of course, customers would just go somewhere else.

But, if you really have convictions, and you want to make people take notice of your convictions, you should be prepared to sacrifice for your cause.

It might cost them financially, but it would send a stronger message.

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This is liberalism. It doesn't need to make sense.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While conservatism kicks 23 million off healthcare.

That makes total sense.

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's absurd that you can't get two scoops of the same flavor, just like it's absurd that two people of the same gender can't get married. Don't overanalyze :)

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Conservatism makes such little sense that conservatives have fractured themselves into all these little tribes and can no longer agree even with themselves. Some spend money like a drunken sailor and aren't very conservative at all. Some profess moral values, but then flush those morals right down the toilet as soon as some guy like Trump or Gianforte come along.

Hard to know what conservatives even stand for anymore other then support of the rich at the expense of the poor and hatred of liberals. Other than that, the message is rather muddy.

15. Nefilim Suspended

Australia is somewhat behind in that's regard, but I'm sure they catch up soon. Nothing wrong with people and companies making statements about it. As usual - don't like it? Boycott it and move on.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

LOL. It makes fiscal sense.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2017 ---
    There are no true conservatives anymore. I may be the last one.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, it really doesn't. Having a bunch of people left sick and unable to obtain medical treatment that they can afford will only serve to affect productivity. People get sick, can't work as much (or at all) their income declines and they spend into the economy less. It's much more prudent and farsighted to keep the population safe and healthy, productive and working.

It never ceases to amaze me that conservatives are willing to spend seemingly endless amounts of money on protecting people from what is only theoretical harm from foreign enemies, but don't want to protect people from actual harm due to illnesses. How does it help to protect someone's life from a bomb, only to allow them to lose it to cancer? Hmmm?

18. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Great, so social norms should be decided by an ice cream company.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Decided? No. But they are certainly entitled to their opinion like everyone else.

20. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

How 'bout they stick to making ice cream?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They are only "decided" within the confines of that brand's outlets in that one country.

Feel free to avail yourself to the numerous alternatives if you prefer.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2017 ---
    I said the same thing.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

How can 23 million get kicked off when only 10-11M signed up for Obamafail?

23. Nefilim Suspended

I doubt that they view themselves as the defining institution of societal norms. Unlike many other interests groups (which I won't mention here, otherwise it'll just trigger their persecution complex).

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If there were only 10-11 million insured Americans, I would share your confusion.

But I know that's not the case.

So I wonder why it confuses you.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Somewhere along the way they forgot that they are simply selling dairy products and aren't really important, this will do as much as a like on Facebook.