Ben Stein Says Obama Is “The most racist president there has ever been

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 4, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ben is trying to sell a book, of course he will sensationalize things in order to sell, then again he does have some ammo.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-initiative-educational-excellence-african-am

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's a question for you. In your past posts on other issues, you've pointed to a cultural problem in the U.S. and implied that it's connected to African Americans.

Yet when Obama puts forth an initiative to help solve some of the cultural issues that you believe exist, you call that racist.

Color me white ... and confused by your stance.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well, like I said, man is trying to sell his book. just preaching to people like him really.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Breaking: Blowhard says stupid **** to get people's attention. More at 11!

The entire premise of his comments are completely asinine but hey if it gets a few bigots to buy his book then good for him.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

wow, i haven't heard that much **** come from someones mouth since listening to john boehner speak. just says a bunch of things without backing it up with any info and people believe it? wow

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Ben Stein knows about as much about racism now as he did about high finance in 2007.

Stein on Cavuto on Business, Saturday, August 18th, 2007

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ben Stein IS one of the most racist people out there.

10. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Well based on what he says, he hates, hates, hates racism but hates anti-racism even more? I think he's one confused man.

http://spectator.org/articles/59005/i-hate-hate-hate-racism

This piece is written by Ben himself

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hate is a lot like religious faith. It's best left inside one's own head or amongst close associates who share that same belief. Kept in that way, you are free to hate as much as you like.

But bring it out into the open, and you'd better be prepared for a reaction.

Stein makes the mistake of seeing the reaction against hate as anti-freedom, when it's simply condemnation. Those are two different things. If you have the freedom to say hateful things, then people have the freedom to say hateful things back at you.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I suspect you'd feel less oppressed if you'd stop reading stuff at "Liberty Viral" :p

these days, being a racist is so unpopular that even racists feel compelled to hate racism

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He's making the, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," point. I don't see confusion at all in that article.

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

If you hate hate hate something, you usually don't tolerate it.

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He is saying that although he hates racism, he still believes in freedom of speech.

16. FreemanW macrumors 6502

From the article . . . .

So is Ben speaking about Obama or George W Bush? :D

Ben is on medication to assist with his inner conflict, an attempt to keep his head from assploding.

17. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Racist president?

(Best Ben Stein voice) "Wow.":D

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Who doesn't believe in freedom of speech?

Can you find anyone here who's said they are against free speech?

Everyone thinks they're for it.

That was a real courageous statement there by Mr. Stein.

He really stepped out on the limb with that stance.

:rolleyes:

19. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

racism is an abused word imo

I have a hard time with how some people define the word racism. I was always taught that racism is an action. For example: If John Doe slapped Jane Doe across the face because of her race, that would be an act of racism. If John Doe fires Jane Doe from her job because of her race, that would be an act of racism. If John Doe hates Jane Doe because of her race, that would be prejudice.

Prejudice turns into racism when an injurious act against someone takes place. Until then, it remains prejudice, hatred, ignorance, etc.

As a human being who lives on earth, I've experienced both racism and prejudice. But in my life, racism has been extremely rare, whereas prejudice is a bit more common, and ignorance is about a weekly occurrence.

Where I reside, my particular race makes up 1.9 % of the states population. This is a huge increase from when I was a kid. I suspect this is why I have experienced some racism, a little prejudice and a lot of ignorance in my life. But racism as I defined it above is extremely rare.

I tend to educate kindly when I run into ignorance if the person is under 50. If they are over 50, I let a lot of words that used to be acceptable, but are now considered politically incorrect, slide off me without a reaction. If there is no malice in the words, there is no foul in my view.

I don't expect an end to racial tensions in my lifetime. I hope I'm wrong. But as things stand today, a persons race is forced into relevancy far too often, and that makes me sad.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

If John hates Jane because of her sex, that would also be prejudice. Sexist prejudice, aka sexism, or more specifically misogyny (woman hating). John would be a misogynist whether he acts on his prejudice or if he just talks about it.

I would say prejudice is any preconceived opinion not based on reason, regardless of what the hater hates. Prejudice based on race is racism. Prejudice based on sex is sexism. So "prejudice" is the more general category, under which finer distinctions are possible.

You can right-click on any of the words above and Look up in Dictionary.

21. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Really? And in bold? :rolleyes:

As stated above, I still have a hard time with this definition. I disagree with it. I don't, however, lack the ability to utilize a dictionary.

com·pre·hen·sion
    ˌkämprəˈhen(t)SH(ə)n/
    noun

the action or capability of understanding something.
    "some won't have the least comprehension of what I'm trying to do"
    synonyms: understanding, grasp, conception, apprehension, cognition, ken, knowledge, awareness, perception; interpretation
    "matters that seemed beyond her comprehension"
    antonyms: ignorance

:D

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree with you.

I thought you had made a good point, and I too share some sadness over the state of things.

While I usually agree with chown33, I do think we was being a little harsh.

You two just break up or something?

23. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

LOL

Anyway, I think this is verging on the thought police mentality. If we define a racist as someone who hates based on race, but does not act on this hatred, we are condemning this persons thoughts.

I believe there are many people who are silently hateful and/or intolerant, but don't actually act on these prejudices. I don't care if someone hates me because of my race/gender/etc. I care very much if they use that hatred/prejudice to cause me injury.

I think it's an important distinction that's being overlooked, and I don't like where it's leading.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I said the very same thing earlier.

You are welcome to hate as much as you want inside your own mind and amongst the circle of friends who agree with your hatred. Knock yourself out. I wouldn't dream of stopping you.

But once your hatred is exposed to the public, then you have to deal with people who don't share your beliefs, and react with disdain, wrath and condemnation. That reaction is just as free as the free speech that incited it.

And so the circle goes.

25. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Well put. I couldn't have said it better myself. I try often, but fail miserably.:D