Ben Stein weighs in...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 10, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ben-stein-trump-must-go/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6j&linkId=29729073

(more via link)

He now says that Bill Clinton has said much the same and worse. So what? I wouldn’t want Bill Clinton to be leading the Republican Party, either! I want someone clean, after eight years of mess and lies and deceit.

I don’t want someone who talks like a dirty-minded eighth-grader leading the greatest political party on Earth.

I disagreed with Trump on many things. But I stood up for him on TV and in print because he was a force for change, and he was not afraid to be non-PC.

But this latest is too much.

The hour is desperately late. At this rate, Mr. Trump is leading my party to catastrophe, to a whipping at the hands of a radicalized Democrat Party in the White House and in Congress.

But if Mr. Trump can do the right thing, drop out; if the party can elevate Pence; and get a great Veep candidate, all can still be saved.

Donald Trump, for once do the right thing. Take your boasts and your swindles and your dirty jokes and your jet and go back home, and let our great party try to save itself and the nation.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Of course he won't

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've maintained all along, we're totally F'd no matter who wins.

Dark times.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I simply don't see how 4-8 more years of centrist leadership is going to lead to the kind of disaster you imagine.

Could you take a moment and more clearly define what you see in you dark future?

I see essentially the same thing we've experienced the last eight years. And that's far from totally F'd.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

even when he looses he will fight with a rigged argument. trump can't loose her s the greatest of course.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

SCOTUS

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

For one, it seems clear we're set on a collision course with Russia.

9. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

True and the so-called Christian Right is willing to elect the most ungodly man in hopes he will nominate judges who will back all of their discriminatory measures disguised as religious freedom. Oh the irony...

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The first half of my life was lived with the U.S. "set on a collision course with Russia."

It's not inevitable.

But if you'd like to go on record claiming it is, I'll duly note that.

11. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I know, that's gonna be the best part! Hopefully we can get the Senate flipped as well so President Clinton can nominate some real liberals to the court. Scalia is dead and rumor has it that Thomas will retire after the election.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Shooting war with in the near future. Whether it's over the Baltics, , or remains to be seen.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, we're in an extremely narrow window on climate change right now to avoid compounding effects in the later years. But hey, everything in America is about the next quarter so **** our kids and grandkids right?

My biggest fear with Hillary is we'll get another "socially liberal" supreme court pick that will still heavily lean corporate over labor...you know, the Democratic forte for the last 20 years.

This doesn't even touch on the absolute horsecrap of US foreign policy (regardless of the party or president) actively working to demonize Putin, which historically is always the "manufacturing consent" stage of the buildup to war. If Hillary and the neocons get their no fly zone in Syria, it's over. Full fledged warfare the second one side has a trigger happy soldier make a stupid move. Invoke article 5 of NATO and suddenly we've got a potential world war based on treaty obligations.

This whole thing is a powder keg and no one on either side is looking to cool things down.

14. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Yes, but we had a president who was far greater than Obama, H. Clinton, or Trump to handle things.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It should be noted that our various out of control intelligence agencies have just as much to do with relations between the USA and Russia as the president. It's no secret the tail wags the dog when it comes to US foreign policy.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Bill is going to have an amazing time as First Man.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Probably a stretch. Who could actually want that. All the parties even tangentially involved want something, but no one wants a collision.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2016 ---
    I'd say Turkey and Iran both like things to chill.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah, nothing like having an accused rapist back in the white house :rolleyes:

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan all managed it.

I don't see why HRC couldn't as well.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

because she is far dumber and has not learned her lesson in Libya.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's true, but we demonize the Iranians as if they are the same boogeyman that Russia is being set up as.

Turkey....well that just demonstrates the US's willingness to stand behind a strongman when he's our asset.

Our foreign policy is a perpetual game of trying to squeeze the toothpaste back in the tube, but because it's people halfway around the world that die because of it our population just doesn't seem to care (if they're aware at all).

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

At least he would not be president.

24. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

In all honesty, do you think that Obama has done a great (or even good) job these last 8 years?

1. Was the Iran deal good?
    2. How about the Inter-Cities - is that good?
    3. How about ACA (That should be called the UACA)
    4. Operation Fast & Furious - Can't see this as good either.
    5. Increased Americans on Food stamps.
    6. Debt that is out of control - After he even told Bush this was unpatriotic.
    7. Alienating Israel
    8. Apologizing to terrorists for offending them.
    9. Americas credit rating downgraded for the fist time in American history.
    10. Broken Promises (or lies) - Ex. “No family making less than $250,000 will see any form of tax increase.”, "You can keep your doctor...period", etc.
    11. Cash for Clunkers - Removing affordable cars from the used car lots, causing used car prices to skyrocket, and causing a strain on the poor.
    12. Obama sues states who enforce immigration laws. - His opinions are not the law, and he swore to uphold these laws.
    13. Before elected Obama was opposed to raising the debt limit, but he did it anyway.
    14. Criticizes the US. Ex.France.
    15. NASA to start Muslim outreach - Really??? NASA?
    16. Targeting of Conservative businesses.
    17. Tried to stop drilling in the US, but sends money to Brazil to fund their drilling efforts.
    18. Message to small businesses - "You didn't build that"
    19. Publicized which seal team took out Osama bin Laden - How dumb is this?
    20. Wars, Wars, Wars.

Maybe you don't consider the above disasters, stupid, un-presidential, etc. but I know I sure do. And I don't want 4-8 more years of it.