Benefit of connect iphone to wifi instead of 3G or EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by royalhouse, May 31, 2010.

1. royalhouse macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I just don't know why should we connect Iphone to wireless router when we have chance to do that?
    I got "Unlimited data plan" from AT&T.

Thanks,

2. tuna macrumors 6502

The internet connection powering a wifi network is usually faster than the connection that you could get on 3G. According to Apple, you get much better battery life on wifi (they quote internet use on 3G and wifi as 5 hours and 9 hours respectively)

There are also a few specific limitations to what you are allowed to do over 3G. For example, you can't download app updates over 20MB on 3G I know for sure. Also, some apps have to be on the same local network as other devices to work. Ex: Apple Remote, Logitech Touchmouse.

If you have a home wifi with a faster internet connection than the 3G, I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it. I have logged onto wifi connections that were slower than the 3G I could get. Pretty rare.

3. royalhouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply. Now I know why people just use wifi instead of 3G connecting.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. royalhouse thread starter macrumors newbie

So, is wifi used for internet search only? When making a call then the phone will take signal from 3G, am I right?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, in order to make calls send and receive texts, voicemails and mms you use carrier connection.
    If you're connected to Wifi every other form of data goes thru that like browsing the internet, checking email, streaming pandora radio etc...