Benefits of Clean Installing iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Corrode, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I tried googling this but didn't find much. I have an iPhone 4 and it's soooo slow lately. Hangs when switching apps, keyboard almost always has a 5 second delay before registering input, don't always get notified of text messages, etc.

Has anyone seen performance improvement from clean installing iOS5 and NOT restoring from backup but setting up as a new phone?

I want to know if there are any benefits from taking the time before I do this.

Thanks in advance!

2. aztooh macrumors 6502a

You must be mistaken. Everyone here knows that the iPhone runs buttery smooth all of the time. It just works, duh.

Have a crap ton of text messages? How much space is left on the drive? Cleaning up some things should help performance. Losing all of your app data shouldn't have to happen.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's possible. It is, after all, a clean install with nothing carried over.

4. SurferMan macrumors 65816

It happens, even with "just works flawless" iOS, you could very well have a glitch or app causing an error. And if your restoring from backup, that same glitch/error is generally going to be in the backup. Clean install will usually fix this. are you jailbroken?

I've seen the same lag you mention on the keyboard though when typing with iOS5, and clean install didn't permanently fix as it still pops up from time to time. Not sure what causes that or why Apple hasn't fixed it in all the iOS5 updates as plenty of others have mentioned it as well.

5. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

I'm noticing some buggy/odd behavior on my iPhone 4S lately.

(Jailbroken 5.1.1)

In addition to laggyness (I click the stanby button and I hear the "click sound" about a second after it closes) I noticed some of my playlists in the iPod app just randomly delete themselves.

Also odd - some of my Safari Bookmarks mysteriously shuffled into a random order - even after I move them back again.

My Facebook notifications are hit or miss. Sometimes they push to my phone, sometimes they don't.

I love my JB phone, but I'm seriously thinking of going back to standard 5.1.1 because these things are getting annoying.

I only have THREE Jailbreak Tweaks installed: 5-colum Springboard, 5-icon dock and SBSettings.

That's it. Not sure why any of this stuff is happening.

6. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I might have a 'crap ton' of messages. Should I be going through and deleting them? I've never deleted a text message since owning my phone (almost 2 years). I would prefer to not lose app data, that's for sure.

Yeah, I'm wondering if I've acquired a bug at some point in the last two years. Tried restoring but then used my backup and it didn't help much. I'm not jailbroken.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I'd DEFINITELY start with the text messages, considering you have 2 years worth stored on the phone. I'd probably just delete all of them, unless there's something really important in there...no need to be a digital hoarder. If there's some special texts you want to keep, take a few screen caps...that is if you can still find them anyway!

After deleting them, do a hard reset.

8. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

How much free memory do you have left? I had about 7GB last time and it was horribly slow, after I cleared it up to about 15GB it was fast again.

9. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Wow, I have never once thought to delete old text messages. Being a bit of a techie, I'm surprised I didn't even know you could delete whole conversations. Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and I don't think space is the issue as I have more than 10GB free.

I'll post an update when all my messages are gone.

10. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

It Worked!

Someone went through and down-voted every post in this thread. There sure are some dinks on the internet. But not you guys!

Deleting all my old messages totally worked! I've been searching for months as to why my phone was so slow. Tried every trick in the book but never thought to do this and it feels like I have a new phone!

Thanks very much for your help.

11. Che Castro macrumors 603

When ever i restore from backup i have home button problems

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

lol Yeah people are stupid with the down voting stuff

Glad it helped. I'm glad the phone doesn't automatically delete stuff like old feature-phones would do, but you have to stay on top of it. I go through and delete conversations from the people I text the most every couple of months.

13. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Did you back them up or just delete them, you can export the sms file so save for later or cloud it. I have a ton of important text so I keep a copy on my computer with the iPhones to be safe as I've had a couple issues with icloud. But with the GSII there an app called sms+ that backs them all up to Gmail.

Did you restore as new, or just delete the msg's and that was it? You must of had a ton of msg's lol.