Bent phone with wake/sleep button not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Holmes88, May 29, 2013.

1. Holmes88 macrumors newbie

Holmes88

Ok so here's the problem. 6 months ago I got my brand new iPhone shipped to me and it was bent. I sent it back to apple and they told me they couldn't do anything since it was bought by me, but under my parents contract. Fustrating, but whatever it was only slightly curved with no damage and couldn't even tell with a case on. Well, couple weeks ago the wake sleep button would only work on the left hand side and no response to the right side. Now it's not working at all. I tried calling apple but they said I would need to go to a store or pay for phone service. They told me if I took it into an apple store they would replace it for me, but the closest apple store is 4 hours away. Would they deny it getting fixed or replaced due to the curve?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Very possible, especially if they think the button stopped working due to the damage of the bending.

There's no way for us to say one way or another. Go there, and state your case.

3. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have accepted this. You should have returned it then and purchased a new one while you were within your return window if they wouldn't replace it under warranty. Now you will most likely have problems with the exchange. They may feel that you damaged the phone causing the bend and that is what caused the sleep\wake button to stop working.

On the other hand, the sleep/wake button issue seems to be a known problem with the 5 and Apple is pretty good about replacing the phone due to this. I had mine replaced just a couple weeks ago for the same reason. No questions asked, in and out in 10 minutes. Maybe they can see in their records that the bend problem was reported on the phone when it was purchased.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He returned it because he bent it, that is he damaged the phone himself, why should apple swap the phone for a new one when he damaged it? As I stated whether they consider the button related to the bend is up in the air

5. Holmes88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holmes88

Thanks, I am hoping they realize this is a very common thing with the sleep button, 2 of my friends have already had to get theirs replaced and nothing to do with the frame.

But unfortunately I did not bend the phone. Not really sure it was possible to do in the 30 seconds it took to open the box lol. But whatever I don't care about that I just want my button to work. So frustrating.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unfortunately at this point you'll not be able to convince apple that it came this way.

Either way, good luck, especially since the apple store is so far away.

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

iPhone 5 is horribly bent and right in the volume area and thankfully all my buttons work ok

8. sleevewipe, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

sleevewipe macrumors newbie

This isn’t a solution to your issue, but I have a non-function lock button due to some drop damage and I'm using this as a temporary workaround:

Go to General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch and turn that on.

One of the options in the AssistiveTouch overlay is Device > Lock Screen. You can even press and hold it to turn the phone off. (Just make sure you have a charge cable around because plugging the phone in to power was the only way I could think to turn it back on.)

Under the accessibility menu you can also set Triple-click home to AssistiveTouch to turn the overlay off and on without having to go through the all those menus each time.

Anyway, might help some until you can get your phone fixed.

9. Holmes88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holmes88

I do have the assistant touch thing on and have been using it the last couple days. Just a little pain in the butt.

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't know why you ever agreed to this, this makes no sense at all. It doesn't matter who bought the phone, as long as you bought it somewhere legit.

11. Smartass macrumors 65816

again? Are you really that blind like couple of other people on this server? He said it was bent when he got it, lots of other people said they got a bent brand new phone and yet you still believe that there are people out there who are bending their phone on purpose??? Get serious will you

12. Holmes88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holmes88

Well just got back from the long ass drive and the store. They just looked at it and said "yeah that's been happening a lot" then they just checked for water damage and then gave me a brand new phone. So worth the drive!

13. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

That's great!!! My opinion is its all about the employee you get at the apple store and how you treat them that is the difference between you getting a new phone and not getting a new phone

14. Holmes88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holmes88

At first they guy barely talked he just would say "name, problem, "remove your case" I tried to be very friendly towards him and I asked how his day was going, if it gets crazy around this time, told him I'm not from the area and got lost trying to find the store. Then he started to talk more and be friendly back. So I can defiantly see if you put the person in a good mood they might be more prone to help you

15. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

When I got my atnt iPhone 5 replaced for tmobile one my guy was hecka chill. I came about 10 minutes late to my appointment, the lady was telling me I'm gonna have to wait 45 minutes for a next open spot, ( now the guy came and he is listening to conversation) and I say I got church in 30 minutes and can't wait that long. The guy is like since you came late I won't help you ( then 3 seconds of awkward silence) and he bursts out laughing and he's like " just playing of course ill help". He opened up my ticket number and didn't even bother looking at my phone for water damage or anything else, just said "I'll go get a new phone" and went got it and replaced it with my phone, we had great conversation and at the end both of us went out smiling.