Bergdahl expected to plead guilty in desertion case Monday

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Oct 16, 2017.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/be...-monday/ar-AAty854?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Well it looks like Bowe is going to spend some time in Kansas where he should have been years ago.

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Good... I hope the POS rots in a cell for the rest of his life.

3. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The Serial podcast about him was interesting, although its narration strained awkwardly to find a sympathetic middle-ground, where there wasn't any.

4. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

There's no middle ground our Airborne hero walked off the FOB IMHO the only middle ground is where his long delayed punishment lies.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What's the over under he's going to get a sex change in prison and come out wanting to be called Roxy?

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, I agree. The story was interesting, but this second season tried very hard to tell a divided story where there was no division. The way I understood it, there is no practical difference to whether he walked off for a subjectively good reason, for an objectively bad reason, or for no reason at all. Either way, in military court, the crime is all the same - he walked off without permission and caused a whole heap of trouble.

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Hmmmm.....I’m thinking.....

Desertion - 5 years, 2.5 years time served for being in Taliban custody for 5 years and another 2.5 years in military prison.

Misbehavior - 10 years in military prison.

Sentences to be served consecutively.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

10. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya Kansas does suck. I would not want to live there.

12. 0007776 Suspended

I would bet that Berghdal has Trump to thank for getting him out of jail since the president couldn’t help but stick his nose where it didn’t belong in trying to influence the outcome.

13. martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

To be honest I think it’s a fair sentence. The days of shooting deserters is long gone and maybe, only maybe, more should be done around mental health to support front line staff.

I do however find Trump’s response laughable. A guy who dodged the army cos his leg was a bit sore.....

14. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

I can’t tell if Trump really is entirely incompetent or intentionally created a mitigating circumstance to undermine the rule of law in a broader sense.

It’s pretty SOP for wannabe authoritarians.

Step 1: interfere in process, creating suboptimal result.
    Step 2: launch attack against process as being ineffective
    Step 3: create new process, which fundamentally undermines established norms, mores, and institutions
    Step 4: claim new processes are emergency requirements to maintain order in society

15. martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

Step 5: go to sleep safe in the knowledge that although you don’t have a clue what you’re doing your money is safe for when you finally get bored of being in the maison blanc

16. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

KS is great, just not the parts people think of when they say "Kansas", the parts near Dodge City look like the old west films, but the east is gentle rolling hills with hot summers and beautiful leafs in the fall. KS is great, but I agree that Berg. should be in prison. Just so people aren't confused, people did die trying to recover his punk ass.
    I've attached a time article about the 6 people who went looking for him and were KIA. May they Rest in Peace.

http://time.com/2809352/bowe-bergdahl-deserter-army-taliban/

17. martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

He’s not a hero I absolutely agree with that.

6 men died trying to find an American soldier though, regardless of the reason he was missing. If he had a nervous breakdown and walked out of base, would you really just give him up to the Taliban?

18. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

19. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

In June 2012, under the by-line of Michael Hastings, Rolling Stone published a balanced, and thoughtful piece on Bowe Bergdahl. Well worth a read for those who prefer a nuanced treatment of such subjects..

Meanwhile, as for Mr Trump: If he cannot master the concept of the separation of powers, (even if the powers in question are military tribunals rather then the civilian judicial system), he might think to keep his mouth shut and his twitter thumbs still on such matters.

20. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Military justice isn't light and without forethought. If the judge allowed him to escape jail time, I would give him (the judge) the benefit of the doubt that all options were carefully weighed. He heard all of the evidence, has military experience himself and in all likelihood left his emotions out of the decision.

We as a nation need to do more for our service members: before they're accepted into the different branches, while they're serving, and most definitely after their active service. The latter doesn't just mean those discharged with physical injuries as many, many members suffer from mental health problems.

A dishonourable discharge is in essence a life sentence that will negatively impact every aspect of his life.

21. martint235, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

I’m not sure how you can tell whether or not he had a nervous breakdown from that article. From reading it, immediately there is inconsistency:
    "I'll never forget that line, 'Has anyone seen Bergdahl?'" says Buetow.

Firsthand accounts from soldiers in his platoon say Bergdahl disappeared while he was on guard duty.

Buetow says Bergdahl was about to go on guard duty, but when a fellow soldier went to wake him, he was not in his tent. He had left behind his weapons, his bullet-proof vest, and night vision gear.

So is he on guard duty or is he asleep? I find that often it’s these little details that show up when someone is being economical with the truth.

Even without that inconsistency to walk out with no kit suggests irrationality

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Can someone (current or retired) in the military answer me this question?

Are there provisions for punishments for interfering with any investigation, trial, and/or judgment in the UCMJ?

I ask, because by being CiC, it could be stated that Trump is military, and if he has stuck his nose in this to influence the outcome, would that not be construed as interfering in said investigation/trial/judgment?

BL.

23. 0007776 Suspended

As someone that doesn’t have a lot of knowledge of military justice I would guess that it would just be handled like the judge did of considering it as a mitigating factor in the sentencing.

24. Gutwrench, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m disappointed in the sentence. I’d like to hear the judge’s reasoning so I understand it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    These men are everything Bergdahl isn’t and have life sentences too.