BERKELEY PROTESTS TURN VIOLENT, COPS INJURED after

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://filmingcops.com/berkeley-pro...-injured-after-students-throw-bricks-at-them/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cops are dealing with bricks being thrown at them & they are just supposed to take it? nope, no sympathy for the "protesters"

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Only issue here is that this wasn't on university grounds. Otherwise, you're spot on with that flashback.

OP: This one, I don't condone at all. The protesters in this case did destroy a bank and a Trader Joe's store, among other buildings.. While the bank (Wells Fargo) I kinda don't have much love for (housing crash), to not be able to get any Chicken Shu Mai or cookie butter would piss me off. :p

Seriously, there's a right way and wrong way to invoke your 1st Amendment rights; this is the wrong way.

BL.

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

It may be an unfair generalization...but that's Bezerkeley.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Careful now.. Berkeley gave you the forked version of Unix your Mac is running. ;)

BL.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just a little fyi Brad.

The demonstrations in the 1960's Bezerkeley was all up and down Telegraph Ave.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

:) I was there for two demonstrations and it also gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

hehe..

I was there in 67-68 and as a teenager got introduced to teargas and the peoples park.

Planted a flower there when they were taking it.

good times..good times..

9. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

That was you? Sorry about that. :)

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

11. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That girl being manhandled by the cops is carrying quite a bit of belly fat.

----------

Darn, you're old. Did you ever see Mario Sava?

13. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

you assume its a girl.nowadays it's hard to tell. hope/she/he made it out ok.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Well, that makes a lot of sense. What happened to Garner can be blamed squarely on textbook sellers.

15. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Hope they at least stole books they can use in coass:p

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Every time a protest "turns violent", I always have my doubts as to the honesty of the police and city hall. The vandals get footage on the evening news, almost like channel seven knew where to place their camera crews, but the arrests always seem to happen somewhere else.

Paranoid, yes, but the feeling is hard to shake. Already, the police have been showing us we ought not blindly trust them. Now we see protests about police violence, of course they are going to turn violent. How convenient. Really, um, ruins the protester's message.

17. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Cops are digging their own hole with the violence, racial profiling, murder, and fake wannabe military tactics.

At some point expect a complete overthrow of some citiy PD and the national guard will need to come in to restore order because cops decided to kill the wrong person.

It's inevitable.

19. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

you know, I keep adjusting my thin foil hat & somehow old post in other forums keep getting by, something about FEMA camps in those post :eek:

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I've been on campus the last few days and its been kind of crazy. The people I see looting are white males (just an observation). Wouldn't be surprised if they are provocateurs who are trying to discredit the protestors. I don't mind the peaceful protests and for most of it, thats what it is. A few idiots are undermining this whole 'operation' though. Shutting down the BART station so i can't get to SF is annoying though.

----------

Protests weren't on campus, but I hear that theyre trying to go on campus tomorrow. We'll see. its dead week here; you'd think a lot of people are trying to study for exams.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The propaganda war part is beginning to seem like the 60's. We see videos of people who are preparing for peaceful civil disobedience. Most protestors do seem civil. A few are not. Police (over)react. Were some of those looting or committing acts of violence provocateurs? Perhaps. The truth itself becomes a casualty.

I'm hoping that the protestors get better organized and get better at nonviolent protest. If the public feels the protestors are hypocritical and violent themselves, the protestors will lose the support and sympathy of the public.

On the other hand, sustained peaceful protests can be very effective.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Whats that got to do with anything?

----------

Your pics are a little bit misleading aren't they....

They second picture is the bleeding head of a minister who was struck by a officer with a night stick whilst she was trying to pick someone up.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No. Offense is immoral. Defense is moral. The protestors threw bricks first.

----------

How often do you find bricks just lying around in a business district? Were there piles of them that the protestors just happened to find or did the cops lie about being pelted by bricks?

----------

Doesn't appear to be a member of the starving downtrodden, maybe.

----------

Wrong place at the wrong time. If she was just walking by and got injured, that's sad given that she was trying to be a Good Samaritan. But if she was part of the riot and got clubbed, that's the chance she took.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

She's protesting about police violence, not the cost of food, or that she's starving..

----------

From the link in the OP

----------

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is no excuse for a copper beating her round the head with a baton.

Ian Tomlinson was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and paid for that with his life at the hands of an over zealous policeman.

Individuals join the police to get their rocks off at kicking in anyone they fancy, especially in america..... I hope they get their comeuppence.