Bernie just set Trump up - will he take the bait?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 4, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Did you read the (short) article.

Bernie said that if Trump plans to cut Medicare or Medicaid that he should just admit now that he was lying.
    “Millions of people voted for him on the belief that he would keep his word,” Sanders said on the Senate floor, referring to Trump’s promises during the election campaign.
    “If he was sincere, then I would hope that tomorrow or maybe today he could send out a tweet and tell his Republican colleagues to stop wasting their time and all of our time. And for Mr. Trump to tell the American people that he will veto any proposal that cuts Medicare, that cuts Medicaid or that cuts Social Security.”

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

millions voted to stop Hillary IMHO . but yeah trump should stick to what he promised.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Bernie needs to go sit in his rocking recliner and and rot a way watching TV. If Trump is smart he will just completely ignore the old guy.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And back away from another campaign promise?

I guess when you've walked back so many ... another one probably doesn't matter that much anyway.

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yes, we all know conservatives in this country really just want a lazy placeholder. They abhor any representative who takes an active role in their job. Get used to this. Sanders will be quite vocal over the next few years, doing what his constituency elected him to do.

Donald Trump is not smart.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Sorry - but how is this related to Hillary? Was she in the story?

Why? Because he's calling Trump out on a campaign promise? Trump isn't smart and is easily baited.

Also I find your attitude towards the older generation silly. Trump is 5 years younger. Dare you say that he should go sit down and rot away watching TV? The odds are more likely that he will before Bernie does.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    ETA: And why should we hold the President-elect accountable, right? Just wow.

8. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Ignoring him wouldn't necessarily mean backing away from his promise. Just not taking the bait. Isn't that what you're all clammoring for?

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. I'd love to see Trump (for once) not take the bait. I just don't see that likely. Do you?

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

This whole repeal Obamacare is going to be a giant cluster-fluck for the GOP. It was easy to yell about it when they wouldn't have to face the consequences and actually govern, but now that they're in charge, they have no idea what to do.

If they continue to fight the Cost Sharing Reduction payments, it will be bad. If the CRS payments were to end because the Trump Administration pulled out of the suit, insurers begin to lose tremendous amounts of money. Insurers may have the legal authority to pull out during the plan year. This would all be incredibly disruptive. This problem can be solved through an appropriation to keep the market stable while in transition. Will the GOP find a way to continue the payments?

Today's actions also effect next year. Insurers need to make decisions regarding plan year 2018 by approximately Tax Day. If the GOP repeals the individual mandate, it will screw over millions of citizens. If insurers know there will be no individual mandate in effect for 2018, they will not participate in 2018. Again, massive disruption resulting in millions of uninsured. Will the GOP be able to allow the individual mandate to continue until a transition is in place?

The GOP has to construct a replacement for the ACA once repealed. Will they be doing so having destroyed the market created by Obamacare prior to that? Starting from behind all out of spite?

And most importantly - it is the so-called "working class" that has the lowest rates of employer-provided insurance, and thus relies most heavily on Obamacare. The GOP would be directly screwing their best constituency if they do any of the things they are planning on.

So far, they are kicking the can back and forth in the budget procedures, calling things the "Obamacare repeal act" which don't repeal Obamacare at all and aren't an act but rather a budget resolution.

The only way for them to win this battle in the short-term is to adopt the ideas proposed by the DNC all along.

... Whatever. I'm on my wife's public-sector union insurance. It's the best. :D Why should I care if Mr. Independent Electrician in Wisconsin can't pay for his injuries? He deserves decades of poverty under crippling medical debt for voting Trump.

11. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Bravo Bernie, that was a good one, didn't know you had a sense of humor like that ;)

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Agree. The reality is - To truly replace the ACA or even radically change it will take a few years. It may even exceed Trump's Presidency if he's a one-termer.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

trump is almost a master at ignoring such things he is almost a jedi master at it. well more like darth vader that is.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Calling Trump out via his favorite method of communication. Personally, I loved it. If Trump continues to use twitter, you can expect a lot more of these, I'm sure.

15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I can just picture member of congress dragging around giant printouts of Trump's tweets LMAO.

16. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I prefer not to guess. I also don't particularly care if he does respond. I do however hope he keeps to his campaign.

17. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

@jkcerda is pathologically obsessed with the Clintons. I thought we all understood that.

18. citizenzen, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm clamoring for Republicans to uphold our social safety nets. If they needs adjusting, the adjust them. If we need to raise deductions, then raise them. But it should be done with the idea of sustaining the programs for the long haul. That is, of course, is what a liberal clamors for.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

It's the Republican way. It's just that Trump has refined it to a T.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Then crooked Hillary and 16 other clowns got beat by a moron :D
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    Didn't matter to you guys when Obama backed away from his.

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So what you're saying is that Trump promised that if people liked their plan they could keep it, and he should be held to that standard?

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ball is on their court and if dropped it's the little people who will sadly pay the price

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So you're saying that it's okay for trump to emulate the worst of Obama?

Is that the standard you've sunk to?

On second thought ... I'll be surprised if the best of trump rises to the level of the worst of Obama.

So maybe you're just being realistic.